New user, lots of questions. PLEASE HELP!

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
kevink

Re: New user, lots of questions. PLEASE HELP!

Post by kevink »

That video was a complete joke and is full of nothing but misinformation... Just forget everything you heard from it. That video should seriously be removed from existence. Whoever commentated it clearly knows nothing about these cars. Get yourself a good running car with no lifter/dod problems, do a DOD delete to eliminate the potential DOD lifter problems, and you will be set.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
CrashTestDummy

Re: New user, lots of questions. PLEASE HELP!

Post by CrashTestDummy »

It happens, and not necessarily due to high idle times. DOD lifter failure is an unfortunately too-common thing with MANY GM vehicles with the 'feature'. It's not just the Caprice car line. I really wouldn't worry much about it, but keep in mind that it can happen.

Our '12 Caprice had a failure while in service with about 40K miles on the clock. They replaced the cam and affected lifters. The car has run great ever since. There are cars out there with hundreds of thousands of miles on the odometer with the original lifters and cam. I also know of a few failures within 10K miles of use, so it's a crap shoot.

I'm still on the fence about it. I currently DD my Caprice, so the MPG while on DOD is helpful (currently 21-22 MPG per tank). I would, however, take a lifter failure as an opportunity to upgrade the valvetrain for better performance and reliability, and probably remove the DOD feature. If I ever get to the point I'm not DD the car, I'll probably at least disable the feature. Even disabling the feature doesn't necessarily contribute to longer life, but I figure it can't hurt.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?