Just looking for help with my 9c1

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Whelenguy

Just looking for help with my 9c1

Post by Whelenguy »

Got a great deal on a 2012 caprice. Now I just need to install a new engine. Looking for some tips on doing the job
Attachments
Before I stripped the lights off
Before I stripped the lights off
IMG_2493.JPG (2.67 MiB) Viewed 5803 times
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Just looking for help with my 9c1

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome to the forum! Engines can be had from a number of salvage yards if it's truly totaled, best thing to do is search car-part.com to do some cost comparisons. If the engine is not totaled and just needs internal work, you might consider a rebuild and doing the AFM delete along with a cam swap. What's physically wrong with the motor?

If you do have to replace the motor, I'd strongly consider dropping a 6.2 into it if you can. Basically it's virtually the same physical profile.

Also, please delete & re-load the pic you posted as it's oversize for our forum. From this point forward it may be moderated without warning if it stays as-is. 1280 x 1024 max please.

Again, welcome!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Just looking for help with my 9c1

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Welcome! As Eric asks, what's wrong with the current engine? Failed lifter/AFM stuff is commonly just replaced by even GM, and send the car down the road. Our '12 got a cam and a couple of lifters at about 40K miles.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?