New User + Prospective 2013 9c1 owner looking for advice

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Astoffa

New User + Prospective 2013 9c1 owner looking for advice

Post by Astoffa »

So I stumbled across a 2013 9c1 6.0L V8 here in Texas and was looking for some solid advice on whether or not to pull the trigger on buying it. I went to go see it today and here are some notes/ notable issues.

1. 67,000 miles (sold at auction to the current owner who resells used police vehicles)
2. A Valve cover gasket seems to be bad/failing
3. A/C issues (Cold-ish on one side and warm air on the other) I read in another thread on here that it could be a freon charge issue, blend door actuators out of kilter, or a whole host of other issues.
4. Slight shudder when sitting at idle (didn't check the total hours the car spent at idle but definitely will next time i go) I also saw on this forum that some 6.0 L77 owners have had issues with the DoD lifters from extended idle times during police use.
5. Some small dents/hail damage here and there but nothing major
6. Seems to be underpriced according to other similar caprices currently on the market ($7,900)

I'd love some advice as to whether or not these issues set off any red flags for you guys. Also would love to know the likelihood of finding parts for the car (2013 9c1 V8) here in Texas. Also if you have anything specific you recommend I check out next time I see the car/talk to the owner, please let me know! Thank you!
Last edited by Astoffa on Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: New User + Prospective 2013 9c3 owner looking for advice

Post by smwalker »

Is it a true 9C3? Or are they just callng it a "detective version" becase it was never labled with police stickers?

Because 13 9C3's are like unicorns. Have any pics of the interior?
Or the real question where are the power window switches?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Astoffa

Post by Astoffa »

so I just got a bit worried I had mislabeled it, and it looks like I have according to the 18 x 8-inch heavy-duty steel with bolt-on center cap wheels. Seems to actually be a 9c1...sorry about that. I will try to link pictures now.
Astoffa

Post by Astoffa »

smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yes is a bit under priced, makes me wonder why. All the things you listed seem like small items to take care of:

Valve cover gaskets, AC recharge, Harmonic Balancer (vibration at idle)

Then again might be the deal of the year!
I have seen worse go for much more.
Your call. Check it's history for an accident if you can.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Re: New User + Prospective 2013 9c1 owner looking for advice

Post by s/c'd cav »

4 is pretty normal , my low mile 14 stumbles
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

smwalker wrote:Yes is a bit under priced, makes me wonder why. All the things you listed seem like small items to take care of:

Valve cover gaskets, AC recharge, Harmonic Balancer (vibration at idle)

Then again might be the deal of the year!
I have seen worse go for much more.
Your call. Check it's history for an accident if you can.

Question for you relating to the vibration at idle. My 13 has 100,000 and has this slightly although it isn't nearly as bad as a Ford Focus :lol: :lol: . However, it has gotten better since I replaced with MSD spark plugs and the LS coil wire harness upgrade for the ignition wire. A lot better response and smoother shifts as well. Anyway, if this problem is related to the harmonic balancer, would it just need tightening or replacement? Mine has 1900 idle hours, which actually isn't terrible but it runs and drives beautifully. I am well out of warranty and just saw the harmonic balancer wobble thread, is the dealer still obligated to replace it or should I have someone else replace it? I noticed it is a TSB with a document ID number of 2762265. I see PN 12674582 for the balancer.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

That TSB applies to any car regardless of warranty where they can verify it has the wobble, which is easily done with the car just idling and a flashlight. Otherwise would sound like the body damage from hail etc is the worst thing you are seeing.. I would go for it thats a great platform to start off building yourself a better car with things like a full interior console swap or just a cheap reliable DD.
Astoffa

Post by Astoffa »

wow thank you guys, your replies have been very helpful! I'm going to look into the history of the car to see if it's been involved in an accident+try to take it to a mechanic for an inspection and will update this thread when I know more.