New from NJ

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
lastcall190

New from NJ

Post by lastcall190 »

Just saying hello. Have an '08 CVPI right now which has actually been one of the best cars I've owned... but I am having an itch for something with a little more get up and go. I love being able to drive my family places and drop my daughter off in the morning, so a 4 door is a must, but I don't have 30k+ lying around to drop on an SS. When I saw what the PPV cars are going for, I almost couldn't believe it. Just starting my search now, and going to start reading up.

Side note: anyone with first hand experience on interior size differences between the Crown Vic and the PPV? I had looked at Chargers, but frankly, I was kind of surprised at how not big the car was on the inside. I ain't a huge guy by any means (6'2 give or take), but the back seat felt mildly claustrophobic.

Thanks again, have a great day all.

-J
garrett

Re: New from NJ

Post by garrett »

I've owned a few P71's over the years, and have had my 2012 Caprice 9C1 for about 6 months now. They're very different cars, the Crown Vic just feels like a much older design inside and out. On the one hand, the Vic feels more roomy up front for the driver because of the way the seats and dashboard are more of a "slab" design. The Caprice has a more modern-feeling cockpit with a dash and center console that sort of wrap around you. As far as rear room is concerned, most every passenger I've had has commented on the amazing amount of rear legroom. It's seriously on the same level as an S-class or long-wheelbase BMW.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks for the input. It's funny I was commenting to my wife the other day when was commenting on something in my car, that for all intents and purposes, the car seems mostly unchanged from 99-2011. That being said, still one of the most comfortable cars I've ever driven. Hope the Caprice is just as comfortable as I love driving.
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

garrett wrote:I've owned a few P71's over the years, and have had my 2012 Caprice 9C1 for about 6 months now. They're very different cars, the Crown Vic just feels like a much older design inside and out. On the one hand, the Vic feels more roomy up front for the driver because of the way the seats and dashboard are more of a "slab" design. The Caprice has a more modern-feeling cockpit with a dash and center console that sort of wrap around you. As far as rear room is concerned, most every passenger I've had has commented on the amazing amount of rear legroom. It's seriously on the same level as an S-class or long-wheelbase BMW.
So what do your passengers say when you reply: "Yeah, that's the ride the perps get to jail. Nice, huh?" :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Well instead of creating a new thread, finally picked up a 2012. Got to drive it home last night on about an hour drive on the highway, was nice as it kind of gave me an idea on what to address, issues, etc. After that long of a drive I will say that this car is night and day with my 2008 CVPI that I've been driving for 2+ years. Granted the Ford is technically a bigger car, but at 4k+Lbs, the Caprice does not feel bloated IMO. It felt very similar to my wife's '09 Mazda 6. The power difference from the 4.6 is very noticeable. I didn't even pin it and just accelerating to pass on the highway from 65mph, the car just wants to go. First up is de-cop-ifying it (remove spotlight, antennas, full wheel covers, plug hole in roof properly), and then brakes, front suspension work (bushings or just replacing the control arms), oil change, and first run maintenance. Got a nice clunk up front and can feel in the steering wheel similar to my Chevy 2500's intermediate shaft. Looking forward to the long weekend to get the car up in the air and have a look after the family time (this will end up being the family hauler so the plethora of rear seat space is a delight).

If I remember to take pics I'll start a member build thread.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

That clunk is likely the upper front strut mount/bushing. Known issue, fairly easy to replace.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks! I helped my buddy do those on his '06 GTO many moons ago, and from browsing GMpartsdirect these look vaguely similar in design...
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

They are EXACTLY the same design. In fact, a popular upgrade from OEM are the White Line brand for the G8. When I did the coil overs on our '12, the used set of coil overs I got didn't include the 'hats', and, of course, one of them 'exploded' when I removed the spring compressor. Cramped for time, I had to grab a pair of replacements from the parts house, that, luckily, had them in stock. I was able to find all of the needle bearings, clean the original up and put it back together to use as a spare but I installed the new tops when things went back together. They've been fine, so far, but if I start to hear the pop, again, I'll be ordering a pair of White Lines to go in. They're not a permanent solution, but are a bit stiffer and won't compress with age, quite so much, which is where the popping or thumping sound is coming from. A permanent solution would probably be CC plates. I know there are CC plates made for the 5th Gen Camaro, but haven't gone much further to see if/how they fit.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Didn't feel like a "build" thread was necessary as I am not really in the market for any other mods right now, but just an update to my initial post.

Just got the car back from a DOD delete and new cam. Space and time are limited with my house and expecting our 2nd child in a few weeks, so I happily sent my car off to a shop. I am super thrilled with the work they did, and the car is a blast. Now time for new tires and an alignment after the dreadful NJ winter roads... Enjoying the hell out of it and it is very reminiscent of my old LSx cars now with all the work done. My daughter calls it "da da new car"

Short term plans are putting the HIDs in my car I have on the shelf, getting the car inspected (Evap System readiness monitor takes FOR-E-VER), tint, and clean up some body issues (moldings, floor mats, etc.). Then just drive it. I put 35k miles on my Crown Vic in 2.5yrs so with any luck the Caprice will give me just as good service as that car!

Hope everyone is enjoying theirs, I never knew how enjoyable an auto LSx could be (still would like a 3 pedal version of this... one day)

-J
Attachments
2012 Caprice forums.jpg
2012 Caprice forums.jpg (132.13 KiB) Viewed 13057 times
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

What cam did you end up using?