Thinking about a Caprice

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Darkpassenger

Thinking about a Caprice

Post by Darkpassenger »

Hi all ,been wanting an Ls engine car stumbles across on local to me .
Question are these cars fast even being automatic and stuff .
Can they be modded to go really fast ?
Supercharger ?
Can it be tuned ?
What are the cons ?
This is the one they are selling in my area :https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Chevrolet ... 1438.l2649

Thanks in advance !
Silversled

Re: Thinking about a Caprice

Post by Silversled »

Welcome.

Fast is relative but like every GM V8 car, there are plenty of go-fast parts to select from. They all run on the E38 ECM which is one of the most ubiquitous and tunable GM ECMs out there. The platform is very similar to the Pontiac G8, Chevy SS and to some degree similar to the 5th gun Camaro. So yes it can be tuned, yes you can supercharge or turbocharge them.

Cons are weight and fit and finish after police service. Many will require maintenance so expect to replace suspension, AC hoses, brakes, etc. The only questionable thing with the high idle cars are the DOD system. Some people have failed lifters almost immediately while some drag race them with the system intact without issue. It's more a GM thing and one that is specific to the Caprice. There is some good info on this forum so read up.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Darkpassenger

Post by Darkpassenger »

Silversled wrote:Welcome.

Fast is relative but like every GM V8 car, there are plenty of go-fast parts to select from. They all run on the E38 ECM which is one of the most ubiquitous and tunable GM ECMs out there. The platform is very similar to the Pontiac G8, Chevy SS and to some degree similar to the 5th gun Camaro. So yes it can be tuned, yes you can supercharge or turbocharge them.

Cons are weight and fit and finish after police service. Many will require maintenance so expect to replace suspension, AC hoses, brakes, etc. The only questionable thing with the high idle cars are the DOD system. Some people have failed lifters almost immediately while some drag race them with the system intact without issue. It's more a GM thing and one that is specific to the Caprice. There is some good info on this forum so read up.
Thanks!
Darkpassenger

Post by Darkpassenger »

how much hp can I expect with something like this ?
https://jet.com/product/detail/be13a16f ... scQAvD_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also looking at this one .Anything I should look for . Was thinking about reading for codes.https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/ctd/d/ ... 32868.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kevink

Post by kevink »

Darkpassenger wrote:Question are these cars fast even being automatic and stuff .
An automatic with a good aftermarket torque converter will walk all over a manual. That's exactly what you want if you really want to go fast.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Darkpassenger

Post by Darkpassenger »

The one im looking at has 100k . Im assuming all are high in miles ,with that said . What do you all think about 10800 for this one 100k miles.https://www.citaautosales.com/2013_CHEV ... 704800.veh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Kind of depends on what they're asking for it. 100K miles seems to be the 'magic number' for a decent price drop. Fair amount of rust on the upper right front strut mount, making me think it's not a Florida car. I'd climb under it and inspect for more rust. The expansion joint where the muffler bolts to the exhaust is a favorite place for rust to reside.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Darkpassenger

Post by Darkpassenger »

Thanks they are asking 10800
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

That sounds about right. Personally, though, for a couple of thousand more, you can get a car with less than 100K on the clock. If you plan to keep the car for a while, that might be a better choice, unless you're planning on either driving and flipping quickly, or changing out all of the suspension bits, where worn bushings won't be an issue. But that's just me.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Darkpassenger

Post by Darkpassenger »

Thanks I have about 2 years because so ill keep looking and saving my pennies . I would love a chevrolet ss