2016 Southern California

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
CrashTestDummy

Re: pumped

Post by CrashTestDummy »

SSpeedracer wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:Did you check the child safety switches? They tripped me up.
Please elaborate. Does the safety lock position result in the rod interfering with the door grommet location?
IIRC, if the child safety switch is turned to the locked position (the white knob with a screwdriver slot on the back inside part of the back door by the door latch) it will turn off the window switches. I seem to remember being frustrated that I had reconnected everything, but the windows still didn't go down from the back seat. I then discovered the safety switches were in the locked position. Turned those, and things worked again.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

CrashTestDummy wrote: I then discovered the safety switches were in the locked position. Turned those, and things worked again.
thanks for info, I thought there might be a chance the safety lock position could make lock rods impossible to install, but not the case. I think the outfitter keeps a box of lock rods and when the vehicle is retired he grabs a pair out and throws it in the glove box for auction. Probably grabbed the wrong ones. they are very close to being correct.
2016 Caprice
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

SSpeedracer wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote: I then discovered the safety switches were in the locked position. Turned those, and things worked again.
thanks for info, I thought there might be a chance the safety lock position could make lock rods impossible to install, but not the case. I think the outfitter keeps a box of lock rods and when the vehicle is retired he grabs a pair out and throws it in the glove box for auction. Probably grabbed the wrong ones. they are very close to being correct.
I thought your issue was with the window switches. That's what I'm describing.

The door lock cables, IIRC, are hard to get to back at the door latch. Most upfitters simply disconnect the cable at the door handle and tuck them into the vapor wrapper. That's what had been done on our car. And note, the cables for the inside door handle and door lock lever are almost, but not quite the same length, so make sure you're not confusing the two.

But yeah, the department, or upfitter, whoever handles the decommissioning of the unit, may pitch some spare bits into the car for the next owner. When I was going over our new-to-us Caprice, I discovered a set of Tahoe door lock knobs in the spare tire well. While it didn't do much for the Caprice, we DID have a 2010 Tahoe PPV that needed those knobs. :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

CrashTestDummy wrote:
SSpeedracer wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote: And note, the cables for the inside door handle and door lock lever are almost, but not quite the same length, so make sure you're not confusing the two.
My '16 doors only have one cable for the interior door handle. The lock is actuated by a push rod, no cable anymore. I saw pictures of earlier year doors and I saw what you described as two cables.
2016 Caprice
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Ahh, got it. Yeah, you probably got earlier-year cables, and not the right ones.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

Springs
KHFL-151SL Front
KHRL-152HD Rear
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 9343 times
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg (964.66 KiB) Viewed 9343 times
2016 Caprice
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

I painted the polycarbonate hole stickers sold by nenno on eBay at the same time I painted the fender repeaters and mirror covers. Base / clear 2k catalyzed paint kit from automotive touch-up matched very close.
2016 Caprice
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

Camaro caliper fits under a Camaro rim, go figure.

The rear tires hit the fender lip when compressed hard, loaded over a dip. Im going to roll the rims next. I've also got a hitch ready for installation.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg (542.72 KiB) Viewed 9342 times
2016 Caprice
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: 2016 Southern California

Post by Pursuit »

Nicely done. I have those rims also. Just waiting to run my newer Continentals on my steelies down. Any other mods planned?

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
SSpeedracer

Re: 2016 Southern California

Post by SSpeedracer »

Thanks. When you install the rims with new tires be cautious of the tire width. Stock size tires with the camaro rim offset will interfere with the fender. I'm certain this will disappear when I roll the lips, but much wider rubber under there might be a problem. Depends how low you go. **** edit ; rolled rear lips and no longer interferes when compressed

I straightened the headrests because they tilted too far forward, pretty typical with newcars. Did this by removing from the seat and massaging with a brass hammer. Ghetto, but it left very few marks and feels much more comfortable.

Just installed a HID kit for lowbeams and LEDs nearly everywhere except tail/brake lights and glovebox.

I'm in process of adding five drink holders and an arm rest to the center console panel. Next will be a 4000 lb hitch for my trailer.

Way later, I've got a LS3 cam and valve springs ready to go in. Ill save up for the DOD delete parts and install, but no date is set yet. Also, i like the 19+ MPG ive been getting. I might start tuning with HPTuners before this. I don't know. Its my commuter and I'm pretty happy.

I wish the PPVs came with the Aussie bumper covers. The US crash specs really fucked up the front lines. If I could get away with installing the snub nosed bumper cover without my wife finding out then I'd do it. But, she already thinks I'm off the deep end with this car. Its suppose to be the daily driver/beater. She knows it has a V8 and it makes no sense when I've already got a blown ls1 camaro and a 6L HD suburban.
Last edited by SSpeedracer on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Caprice