New from Pittsburgh PA

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Tech56

New from Pittsburgh PA

Post by Tech56 »

Hi guys. My name is Matt and I'm the new owner of a 2012 9C1. This car was owned by my local municipality which I just so happened to start working for last year. As many times as I saw this car around I never had any idea it was anything other than an impala. I'm a mechanic by trade so when I started working on our police vehicles I was shocked at what this car had under the hood. I had never heard of a caprice ppv before last year and certainly never noticed any on the road. I was a ford tech for 10 years before leaving my last job but I never paid much attention to the car side of things, definitely not anything performance related. Ford cars just never did anything for me, I've always secretly liked GM more.

So when word got out that this thing was going on the auction block I started looking into it more. It seems like the 12s were pretty desirable but really I had no idea what I was going to get into. The department insists this engine consumes oil but the service records and tests performed by the dealer don't indicate that it is excessive. I am going to keep an eye on it. The way this thing runs I'm okay with it using a little oil.

The car does need painted and that's probably the first thing I'm going to get done. It used to have a half white stripe down the middle but it's been long since painted over. When we were stripping the decals on it the one guy got a little too trigger happy on the decal eraser and killed the paint in a few spots. If it proves reliable otherwise I'll start considering some engine upgrades. I had installed new front springs and struts while it was still in service last year and they told me it had a new rear end at one point. Other than that it doesn't seem like too much was done. It's got 87k on it now, no idea on the hours, even though it's a 12 the hours don't show up in the message center.

Oh and I did get the eBay urethane hole covers. Those are really nice, I don't even mind the few holes now.

Oldblue68chevy

Re: New from Pittsburgh PA

Post by Oldblue68chevy »

Welcome to the club. I love my Caprice is well. I got mine last year while on he search fir a family vehicle. I couldnt bring myself to driving anything that wasnt a Rwd v8. This car rides great and has tons of room for the kids seats in back.

Where in the Pittsburgh area are you. Im a little north near Cranberry.
2011 PPV 9C3
Tech56

Post by Tech56 »

I'm more south west down around Bridgeville

edit - and I just figured out how to get hours displayed on the DIC. 8925 engine and 5400 idle. This thing must have never shut off.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome! Yeah, these cars do pick up lots & lots of idle time. Officer Friendly would let it idle 23 hours a day if he could, as long as the air conditioning is working and the radio is playing nice friendly tunes. It's usually from 0 to 80 and stop the traffic violator, drive back to the secret hidey-hole and wait for the next unsuspecting victim. Yeah I'm a book-a-day club member, I know that routine very well... lol...

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Tech56

Post by Tech56 »

I am shocked this thing has that many hours and it has never had any major repairs. Driving the vehicle you would never know it, I certainly didn't. I almost wish I didn't find out how to display them. If it's any consolation I know they kept the correct oil in it and the intervals low. They literally weren't kidding when they said it was in every 2 weeks for an oil change.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

If the unit was in service for 6 years and was used 7 days a week, it was only averaging about 4 hours a day. If you look at it that way, the 8900+ hours does not sound so bad.

There was a Washington State unit that just sold and it only had 2707 run time hours with 566 of them were idle hours. It had 110,000 miles on it. Apparently it spent most of its time on the highway. I was watching that unit but it went for $10,800 and the cost to get it back to Texas was too much.

David
Tech56

Post by Tech56 »

Yeah that's one way to look at it. All of our new explorer interceptors have a ton of idle time on them too and they're holding up well also.

I noticed the other day I have the crank pulley wobble. That'll be what this car gets next.