New to me 2011 Caprice PPV

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Msitayem

New to me 2011 Caprice PPV

Post by Msitayem »

Hi all! I'm very happy to say that I just purchased a 2011 9C1. It looks like it'll need some work. Previous owner swapped an LS3 out of an SS but it's throwing multiple codes. I have a feeling i'll be very active in this community, and look forward to reading into a lot of material on these cars.
Attachments
Attach81865_20180903_131957.jpeg
Attach81865_20180903_131957.jpeg (343.26 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
elc32955
System Manager

Re: New to me 2011 Caprice PPV

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome, looks like a nice ride!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Post the codes, there are those here who can help decode.

Welcome. :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Msitayem

Post by Msitayem »

elc32955 wrote:Welcome, looks like a nice ride!

Eric
Thank you!!
CrashTestDummy wrote:Post the codes, there are those here who can help decode.

Welcome. :mrgreen:
Thanks!!

It's throwing the following: p0068 p0102 p0106 p0113 p0128 p0521 p1258

I appreciate any help!
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

P0068 Looks like a MAF related code
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input
P0128 Looks Coolant temp related
P0521 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance
P1258 Engine Coolant Overtemperature - Protection Mode Active

Just a shot out of a cannon... check the MAF sensor (wires/plug), check for any vacuum issues in or around the intake tract, the 521 is related to the oil pressure sensor, and I've never had 1258 but the verbiage of that description feels like "aka Limp Mode" (possibly as a byproduct of the coolant temp; either it was actually too high or the sensor was incorrectly reading it too high... maybe...?)

There are those much smarter than I who might chime in and correct me. If nobody responds and I have time tonight I'll fire up HPTuners and have a look at parameters that would throw each one and maybe provide more clues.

It doesn't seem like the end of the world, but search the G8 Boards as well as these cars are similar in architecture (2011-2013 at least), and there is a lot more info over there as well.

Good luck.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Msitayem

Post by Msitayem »

lastcall190 wrote:P0068 Looks like a MAF related code
P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0128 Looks Coolant temp related
P0521 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance

Just a shot out of a cannon... check the MAF sensor (wires/plug), check for any vacuum issues in or around the intake tract, the 521 is related to the oil pressure sensor, and I've never had 1258 but the verbiage of that description feels like "aka Limp Mode" (possibly as a byproduct of the coolant temp; either it was actually too high or the sensor was incorrectly reading it too high... maybe...?)

There are those much smarter than I who might chime in and correct me. If nobody responds and I have time tonight I'll fire up HPTuners and have a look at parameters that would throw each one and maybe provide more clues.

It doesn't seem like the end of the world, but search the G8 Boards as well as these cars are similar in architecture (2011-2013 at least), and there is a lot more info over there as well.

Good luck.

-J
I got a pretty good deal on this thing, especially for having an LS3 swap. I noticed that they didn't do the best job with the swap. the coolant temp sensor looks like they just cut the wires and twisted them together...I ordered a new oil pressure sensor, coolant temp sensor, and a MAP sensor. I'm going to replace all those, and for the MAF, I plan on taking a better look tonight/this weekend to try to follow the wires, make sure nothing else was cut up. Thanks for the help, and the tip on the vacuum lines, I didn't even think of that :D
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

No worries. Sometimes the most obvious things elude me, which is why I mentioned vacuum leaks. When I pulled the intake to replace my serpentine belt, I put the intake on and pinched the duct, had a nice opening right in front of TB. Oh and I forgot to plug the MAF in. Was greeted with a CEL in about 5 seconds and a boatload of codes. Whoops.

Twisting wires? Yea that might have something to do with a code or two :lol:

Enjoy the car. When it gets running right I'm sure it's a blast.
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

P0068 MAP/MAF - Throttle Position Correlation
All these are related to the MAF. From what you say, the wiring may have been compromised or the wrong MAF is being used (the L77 or LS3?) and the PCM doesn't like it.

Again, could be wiring or wrong sensor being used.
P0128 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
I'd say a wiring issue but the codes contradict each other. One or the other may be historical. For both, one site specifically says open or shorted wiring as a possible cause but for P0128, supposedly puts it in 4 cyl mode.
https://www.autocodes.com/p1258_chevrolet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419