New from NOVA [Northern Virginia] w/ a Frankenstein 2013 PPV

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
NovaPPV

New from NOVA [Northern Virginia] w/ a Frankenstein 2013 PPV

Post by NovaPPV »

Just picked her up yesterday from York, PA. The guy I bought it from, Chris, has been the man.

It was a salvage [From TEXAS], but he got an enhanced safety inspection for me turning it into a Reconstructed title.

Only issue is the horn. He found the bypass for the siren and reconnected the horn and it worked...for a little bit.
It works for 2-3 beeps, then stops working. I'll go back to it 20-30 minutes later and it'll again beep 1-3 times then stop working.

I've failed Virginia's Safety Inspection and have 2 weeks to try and figure it out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Rob
Attachments
IMG_5466.JPG
IMG_5466.JPG (174.66 KiB) Viewed 7754 times
CrashTestDummy

Re: New from NOVA [Northern Virginia] w/ a Frankenstein 2013

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Conroe!! Wow, that's down the road from me!! Well, WELL down the road, but in the same corner of the state. Welcome.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

If you can find the horn relay, see if you can feel it click when someone hits the horn button. If it clicks, swap it with another relay that has the same part number on it. If the swap that does not help, I would get to the horns and see if you are getting power to them when the horn button is pushed. If there is power to them, remove them and bench test them. If there is no power at the horns, you may have damaged wire between the fuse box and the horn.

If the relay does not click, there could be a problem in the horn button, the clock spring, wiring or BCM.

The FSM shows the horn relay to be in the fuse panel under the hood.

David
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
NovaPPV

Post by NovaPPV »

@Sanford - Thanks much for the solid advice. I had posted this issue under the wiring Forum as well and noted that the voltage drops from 12v to less than 700mV whenever the horn is depressed.

@smwalker - Thanks for this, it's so hard to find! Also thanks for your advice on my other post. I'll keep checking it out and hopefully can find a fix. Came out this morning to the car and the horn fired right up! But only 2 times. What the heck!
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

that is quite a color combo. I like it.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
NovaPPV

Post by NovaPPV »

Thanks! I'm gonna eventually wrap it in one of those rust wraps. MADMAX style.