just bought my 2012 Caprice PPV

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
jj55chevy

just bought my 2012 Caprice PPV

Post by jj55chevy »

I just got my car this week and boy am I going to full of questions here!!! I have alot to learn with this car.The car did not come with an owners manual. I think one of the first things I need to do is figure out my radio. I read they have to be unlocked? would that be why the navigation system does not work? or the front speakers? The dome light does not come on when I open the doors. I see that I have an auxiliary battery in the trunk, I see some guys took theirs out, is there anything special I need to do that? Eventually I will be personalizing the car with some modifications. I have not seen too many sources for parts for it, does anyone know where i can get carpet for it? Any ideas on a good sounding exhaust system that will not break the bank or my eardrums? I have seem some people just take off the mufflers. does this sound good or irritating? Needless to say, when I jump on it I want people to know it's a V8. Any help anyone can give me on this car would be greatly appreciated!

PS: I still have to come up with an idea for a console. I might build something out of wood with cup holders and a cushion.
lastcall190

Re: just bought my 2012 Caprice PPV

Post by lastcall190 »

Welcome. Yes the radio needs to be unlocked, though I'm not sure about the nav.

Carpet for a 2012 I believe would be PN 92249768 taken from the parts index page off the main www.newcaprice.com start page

Do a quick search (either here or via google: "battery removal site:www.newcaprice.com" should be a good search string) on the battery. I can't recall off the top of my head but I don't believe much special needed to be done to remove it. That's also on my list for this winter if the weather is too crappy.

As for the exhaust, many guys do the solo axle back setup. It is specifically made for the car. Other less common choices would be sourcing an X-Force setup, or taking a G8 setup and extending the exhaust tips (and potentially some of the piping). As for headers? Kooks makes specific LTs, as does ARH, and I believe any Chevrolet SS header would fit (G8 doesn't clear the oil cooler unless you get the midlength setup). LOTS of threads on that for you to read if you are bored.

What sounds irritating is wildly subjective (as is any exhaust sound, period). Everyone said I would regret my choice of Magnaflow. I love it, I loved it on my Mustang, and I loved it on my f-body. As I've put more miles on it, it's somehow droned even LESS. Best bet is to hear setups in person.

Good luck and enjoy. Toss up some pics if you can.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

none of the ppv's have nav , the 14-17 ppvs its possible to get done , i believe the silver box needs to be changed and the programed to work in the ppv
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

cool! thanks for the replies!! it's always good to get some ideas before diving in blindly. We have had some weird weather here in Minnesota (it's raining today) but I will get some pictures posted soon. I still need to figure out why the dome light does not work and I want to figure out how to get the passenger side air bag activated ...thanks again!!!
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Your dome light will not come on without a BCM reprogram. It's called option code or RPO code 7Y6 "inoperative dome". If you reprogram it, clicking the door icon button next to the dome button will turn it on when you open the door or have it disabled as normal.

My advice is send your BCM to Chris White of White Auto and Media Services as soon as he's open for orders. Choose yes for remote start, do not elect option code 7Y6, and yes for DRLs as our cars have the headlights on normally.

Whiteautoandmedia.com

For enabling remote start, search for my thread Remote start adventure.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

cool, thanks for the advice! one question though, what is a bcm?.....lol..it's good to know some of these options are available. thanks again!! Jeff
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Body control module. It's located above gas and brake pedals. Major part of computer system.

There's a lot of info on it. You'll be reading this site for at least a year learning all kinds of things trust me.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

Fudgehog wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:17 pm Body control module. It's located above gas and brake pedals. Major part of computer system.

There's a lot of info on it. You'll be reading this site for at least a year learning all kinds of things trust me.
I believe that!!
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome to the system! For your owner's manual needs, visit our files page from the main front page menu. There you can directly download the 2012 Caprice owner's manual, it's a freebie. There's a few other publications for the 2012 you might want to look at as well.

Lot of technical knowledge in the members of our forum. Be sure to browse some of the threads as most of the common topics have been covered.

Thanks!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
jj55chevy

Post by jj55chevy »

elc32955 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:13 am Welcome to the system! For your owner's manual needs, visit our files page from the main front page menu. There you can directly download the 2012 Caprice owner's manual, it's a freebie. There's a few other publications for the 2012 you might want to look at as well.

Lot of technical knowledge in the members of our forum. Be sure to browse some of the threads as most of the common topics have been covered.

Thanks!
Eric
I'll check it out! thanks!!