Greetings from NC

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Kyle

Greetings from NC

Post by Kyle »

Hello everyone,

My name is Kyle, and I am from North Carolina. I have been interested in possibly buying a newer caprice for a fun, reliable daily driver. Ideally looking at a 2014 or newer for the updated interior, with lower miles ( under 70,000), in good condition. I would love to hear the good and the bad about owning a caprice, and all the details. It will definitely be awhile before I make a purchase, so please feel free to offer tips, warnings, info, etc.

A few things I would really appreciate advice on:
  • Where to find nice used Caprices (Auctions, Dealers, Surplus, etc.)
  • Major costs (insurance, parts, tires, maintenance) and common issues
  • Things to look out for
  • Parts availability (or should a parts car be a good purchase)
  • Anything I missed above that would be good to know
I am looking forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance for sharing your advice and knowledge.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Greetings from NC

Post by CrashTestDummy »

If you get one, how long do you intend on keeping it? Since the brand is no longer produced, parts are slowly becoming unavailable. I'm buying up spares when I have spare funds, but have already been thwarted a couple of times due to parts NLA.

These things seem mostly pretty dependable. The only real issue on our '12 is a new A/C leak that I haven't chased down yet. I just throw a can of 134-a in it every once in a while. I'll be getting a leak sniffer pretty soon so I can fix that issue.

Rust belt cars will have some rusty bits that need attention, particularly the flex joint and bolts at the exhaust-to-muffler joint. I ended up having to drill out a couple of bolts and replace them when two of them just broke off.

Other than that, and normal wear and tear, it's been a pretty nice ride.

We got our '12 from Cop Cars Online. We actually got our '10 Tahoe from them, too, and had both shipped to us. Great service, and the vehicles arrived just as described on their web site.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?