Intro and a few Qs:

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
cabledawg

Intro and a few Qs:

Post by cabledawg »

Soon to purchase a PPV Caprice, 2012-2014 most likely. And heres the deal- I kind of see whatever I end up buying like a 6.0L work truck... that is alot faster and more stealth.

Some of these nice PPV builds are awesome- but I am a Jeep guy by nature, and feel that curbs are not hard rules to follow, but merely recommendations (like sidewalks and stop signs). I want a vehicle that can eat up potholes and smoke the tires while she does it. Gonna beat this thing further, is my point.

Small truck cam and keep the VVT and factory converter... headers when I do motor mounts, and exhaust cutouts so I can play by the rules. And spray. Because I have never met a 6 liter that didnt like the bottle.

1) Do these PPV's have the TOW/HAUL aka SPORT button for the transmission?

2) If I got a dash mounted shifter, is there any room under the dash for my legs, if I removed the center console?

3) is there a pass through to the trunk?

4) Why is 2011 the worst year to buy?

5) How many cats and resonators in total do they have- are they all Cali compliant with the center mounted muffler?

Sorry if my questions seem silly... if you can answer them here I wont muck up the other threads :)
xcidmigs

Re: Intro and a few Qs:

Post by xcidmigs »

1 - There is not a tow/haul, i recall how my 01 2500HD had that and it did something decent, the button the PPV has is supposed to put it into "Sport" mode... pretty much worthless and on some years it will turn off the traction control which is again on the worthless side unless you just want to burn up $$$ on rubber... Get a tune done for the engine since you want a cam and also the TCM for things like the shift point RPM and the TQ management way better...

2- The dash mounted shifter on later cars is just super weird, I have driven every Police car made since 1991, they all have dash shifters, that caprice version is just weird as hell to operate, Gluck with it... I have no idea what you mean by "legs under dash?" The center console regardless of what version you buy goes all the way down to the floorpan and attaches there, if you find a 9c3 you get the full center console if not its just the shorty version or some police sheet metal deal that added on, you can remove those all you want but your legs won't ever go under anything....

3- No pass through with the stock seats, however you can swap out to a Pontiac G8 rear seat and then you get this plus a fold down armrest...

4 - Who told you that 2011 is worst? Its the most rare with less than 1000 units sold, its clearly the fastest also as the factory tune and traction control software were made to impress all the PD testers who would be getting them first, the reason the TC cannot be turned off on a 2011 is supposedly because GM was afraid the testers who were used to crown vics would go out and crash them.

5 - The stock 6l has 2 main cats attached to a short pipe that connects the manifolds to the stock center pipes which is where there is 2 mini cats plus that giant center mounted suitcase looking muffler. Cut out just that and you are already are making progress as it necks down to 1 7/8" pipes on that thing plus it sounds better....
cabledawg

Post by cabledawg »

Thank you so much- when did the shifters go to the dash?

I am looking at three 2011 models, 75-85k on the clocks... black and whites. LOL
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

2014 went to dash shifter
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

On any ex police car try to get the engine hours # which is in the DIC info can be alot more telling than the miles. There is a formula for converting the hours over to a miles equivalent somewhere and sometimes a car should be avoided with lower miles due to the idle hours it has especially with things like the DOD...
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

xcidmigs wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:57 am On any ex police car try to get the engine hours # which is in the DIC info can be alot more telling than the miles. There is a formula for converting the hours over to a miles equivalent somewhere and sometimes a car should be avoided with lower miles due to the idle hours it has especially with things like the DOD...
engine hours is only on the 12-17's

11's did not get luck to have them
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

my 16 has two separate hours, one is running hours, one is idle hours. It s the idle hours that are sometimes high on these cars.
2016 C1