New Owner in Utah

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Sartorius

New Owner in Utah

Post by Sartorius »

Greetings. After a couple of years of looking, I found a 2012 9C3 model. 46K miles. But it was never in police service. It was driven by a Chevy western region manager for all of 4,061 miles. Then it was sold at auction. It was a lease vehicle for 3 years, then sold to the current owner who just sold it to me. It arrived on the truck today after traveling 2300 miles from Pennsylvania.

There is a local Chevy performance shop near me and I'm planning to have them disable DOD in the ECU until I get around to doing the lifter/rocker/cam replacement. They will also do some chassis dyno runs to see where the car is at before any mods happen.

I've been reading dozens on posts of the forum and have many more to go. Two quick questions on stereos: I see that most people don't replace the head unit, since so much of the car's functions run through it. This head unit is unlocked with bluetooth and other functions working just fine. It's doesn't have any navigation maps installed. Is this something I can pay a dealer to install (if I wanted to pony up the money).

Also, my current car has a Kenwood head unit that I installed and has Android Auto/Apple Carplay, which I use constantly. Having Waze on the big screen is very nice. I see that GM started offering AA/Apple CP in about 2015 in some models. Is it possible to buy a 2015+ head unit to replace the existing head unit, or am I just dreaming here? I know it will probably be expensive. My wife has Intellilink in her 2015 GMC Acadia Denali, but it doesn't have AA/Apple CP integration.

Currently, I'm driving a Mazda 3 6-speed stick until I found the Caprice. Prior to that, I had a 2003 BMW 540i, 4.4L V8 with a 6-speed stick for 9 years. I miss the 540i severely (but not the repair bills). It's great to be back in RWD/V8 land!!

Many thanks and looking forward to continuing to learn from all of you.

ETA: Pics are still pending, as it's just off the truck and is filthy. But I did pick up a set of four 18" Camaro split spoke wheels today to replace the 9C3 steelies.
2012 9C3 Detective
2015 GMC Acadia Denali
2010 Subaru Impreza
1986 Chevy K20 3/4 Ton
2007 Mazda 3 (sold)
2003 BMW 540i/6 speed manual (sold)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer EXT (sold)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: New Owner in Utah

Post by smwalker »

Welcome!! Sounds like you found a good one!!

On the Stereo, no nothing newer you could adapt. ANy head unit navigation you would have to get a new silver box from AU that you can load US maps on. BUt honestly you would still be looking at 10 year old map tech, Your smartphone can do much better in most cases.

On apple play the most you could do easily is display it on your screen with a video and audio in cord but you would not be able to control things via the screen so you would still need to control through the phone so really no real advantage.

Just find a good mount for your phone and live with the bluetooth and Wayz.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome, quite an awesome find for a first Caprice! Enjoy!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
119C3NJ

Post by 119C3NJ »

saw this beauty on ebay. told the wife I am going to buy a unicorn! didn't work out for me but glad it worked out for you. enjoy it man! I was hooked when i saw the car parked in a bubble!
2011 9C3 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
1995 MG5 Yukon GT Black
1993 Harley Davidson FLSTC Black
Sartorius

Post by Sartorius »

That's kind of funny. I messaged the guy on eBay several times over the week and referred to it as a unicorn a couple of times.

He listed it a week earlier at $14,999 and it didn't sell. I agonized all week about whether or not to bid. When it closed, I messaged the seller and made him a cash offer. He considered, but relisted at $13,499.

He also sold a 2014 Chevy SS with 15K miles that week. Listed and sold at $30K. I looked long and hard at that, but my wife seemed less enthused about me blowing 30 grand on it.
2012 9C3 Detective
2015 GMC Acadia Denali
2010 Subaru Impreza
1986 Chevy K20 3/4 Ton
2007 Mazda 3 (sold)
2003 BMW 540i/6 speed manual (sold)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer EXT (sold)
119C3NJ

Post by 119C3NJ »

I saw it on 1st listing. No action...... I emailed him and asked would he listen to offers. I offered 2 grand over the banks value. Then when seller relisted I added another grand and made a bid. I didn't miss by alot. You wanted it just a lil more.
2011 9C3 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
1995 MG5 Yukon GT Black
1993 Harley Davidson FLSTC Black