New Member - Detroit Area

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
shreksbrother

New Member - Detroit Area

Post by shreksbrother »

Hello world.

Just picked up a 2012 Caprice from an Ohio sheriff's department. Runs and rides well, but have a few items I need to attend to:

- I think the rear bearings are going bad - scheduled to arrive today
- Ordered an AFM disabler
- Troubleshoot clicking sound in steering
- Interior is disgusting. Yesterday I found a black leather passenger seat at my local junkyard from a G8 and installed it. On the hunt for driver seat and center console

I've driven ex police vehicles exclusively over the last 20 years (Crown Vics, Tahoes, Tauruses), and this is definitely the roomiest and strongest of them. Hoping to get lots of miles out of this one!
Attachments
20190613_142638.jpg
20190613_142638.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 13220 times
20190613_142315.jpg
20190613_142315.jpg (3.09 MiB) Viewed 13220 times
Mooseman

Re: New Member - Detroit Area

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Very nice. First time I've seen one with a full brush guard. Did they go off-roading with it or something?
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
shreksbrother

Post by shreksbrother »

Hello,

I asked the same question. I was told it helped prevent deer damage (it was a very rural county - Amish country).
SmittySS

Post by SmittySS »

New... and around the Detroit area too... I haven't taken possession of my 2012 yet... picking it up in Alabama next week.
Not really sure of it's condition yet, but hope it's not too bad. Only has 79k on the odometer... so I'm hoping it was a good buy.
I've been wanting one ever since I found out about them a few years ago and they were always price out of my league.
I've owned several "old" Caprices (91's thru 94).
Maybe we can connect at a car show or something around Detroit sometime!
Until then, be blessed!
Smitty
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

The wheel bearings appear the be pretty beefy. The most common noise from the rear is tire wear. Feel the tires and see if they feel cupped. If they are, swap them with the front tires and see if the noise changes.

David
shreksbrother

Post by shreksbrother »

@Smitty - congrats on the new purchase. Did you buy it from Montgomery, by chance? I think I recently saw one from there in govdeals.

We should definitely meet up.

I've seen one other Caprice while riding my motorcycle up in the thumb, and a Holden-badged SS in Auburn Hills. Not sure if either are on this forum.
shreksbrother

Post by shreksbrother »

Sanford wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 pm The wheel bearings appear the be pretty beefy. The most common noise from the rear is tire wear. Feel the tires and see if they feel cupped. If they are, swap them with the front tires and see if the noise changes.

David
You're right about the bearings. I replaced them and it didn't make much of a difference. I picked up another set of wheels/tires on Craigslist to use as winter wheels and threw those on the car... It's much quieter with non pursuit tires on there. Oh well, changing those bearings gave me a great opportunity to reacquaint myself with four letter words. They're a real PITA to change.
SmittySS

Post by SmittySS »

shreksbrother wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:49 pm Did you buy it from Montgomery, by chance? I think I recently saw one from there in govdeals.
You guessed it!
We're going to make a mini-vacation out of the trip to Alabama. I pick up the car next mon.
shreksbrother

Post by shreksbrother »

SmittySS wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:04 pm
shreksbrother wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:49 pm Did you buy it from Montgomery, by chance? I think I recently saw one from there in govdeals.
You guessed it!
We're going to make a mini-vacation out of the trip to Alabama. I pick up the car next mon.
Safe travels! I just took mine down to SC and back last week... It performed flawlessly.
SmittySS

Post by SmittySS »

We'll be traveling in our Cummins powered K2500 Suburban.
We hope to have some family fun along the way.
I'll post up pics of the Caprice as soon as I'm able.

Thanks!