Hello from Sacramento, CA

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
rcg530

Hello from Sacramento, CA

Post by rcg530 »

Hello everyone!

My name is Robert. I'm a former owner of two different Chevy SS Sedans (2015 Mystic Green and 2017 Slipstream Blue).

I sold the 2017 Chevy SS to fund my current venture in life, my social media company / YouTube channel.

I'm taking a portion of the funds from the sale of the 2017 Chevy SS to purchase a Caprice PPV as a project car for my YouTube channel.

I started my Caprice PPV search today by looking at a 2014 Caprice in Modesto, CA. I'm going to checkout another one next week in Sacramento.

I'm looking forward to getting a Caprice PPV and starting the work on the project on that car for my YouTube channel.
2014 Chevy Caprice PPV | RetroCarGuy530 YouTube Channel
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Hello from Sacramento, CA

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome Robert! Keep us posted on how things go with your build, hope our members can help you out if you run into any snags. And a honorable mention in the vids would also be greatly appreciated if we do help!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! It will be interesting to follow your build.

Had a look at your channel and found the info on the updated ignition switch interesting. Posted it to the other forum I'm on gmtnation.com. As you can imagine, we deal with a lot of these failed switches. Also found your video on O2 sensors interesting. I guess fake ACDelco parts are not just limited to spark plugs!
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I think a neat angle would be for you to get one through a municipal auction and take your viewers through that process. The greatest builds I have witnessed are cars that come all jacked up from the police departments and get transformed into show stoppers. And it's not your typical used car problems that most videos cover.

Welcome to the board!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

I looked at 2014 Caprice 9C1 a couple of days ago. I didn't want to buy the first one I looked at. A person was there as I left and it appears he bought that one.

That dealer stated he'd be willing to take me to the auction where he sources his cars from (he sells a lot of surplus police vehicle purchased at auction).

I'm looking for something to keep me within my budget of no more than 10K or 11K (depending on condition) and that leaves me with another 9K or so to work on the car.
rcg530

Post by rcg530 »

Mooseman wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:47 pm Welcome! It will be interesting to follow your build.

Had a look at your channel and found the info on the updated ignition switch interesting. Posted it to the other forum I'm on gmtnation.com. As you can imagine, we deal with a lot of these failed switches. Also found your video on O2 sensors interesting. I guess fake ACDelco parts are not just limited to spark plugs!
The ignition switch used in the Chevy SSR (and many other GM vehicles of the mid 2000s) has been the root of many problems in the Chevy SSR. SSR owners tend to carry a spare with them on trips (just in case). The "updated" switch (gray/black plastic covers) is reported to be better than the original (all black plastic), but I've observed failures with them as well.

The O2 sensor issue was likely a dealership that sold them listing them as ACDelco when they were not. My SSR was not happy with those O2 sensors. I found two true ACDelco O2 sensors (post cat) and the problems went away.

My channel has several Chevy SSR specific fix-it/how-to/installation videos and a few Chevy SS Sedan videos. I'm hoping to get a Caprice to get the opportunity to create more episodic type content for the channel and in the end get a nice daily driver out of my efforts.

When I attended the HoldenRun 2019 in Las Vegas this past October, I saw some very nice Caprice PPVs! One day, I hope to have one myself.