Hello from the Low Country (Charleston, SC)

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
IM28702

Hello from the Low Country (Charleston, SC)

Post by IM28702 »

Hello from Charleston, SC. I haven't yet purchased a Caprice, but that's my intent in the next few months. I tend to do a massive amount of research and learning before buying anything so I know what to look for or avoid. That's the stage that I'm at now. So far it looks as though I'd prefer the 2014 for the newer dash, but they're certainly harder to come across. The 2016 for sale on here in upstate NY is tempting, but I just don't know that I could stomach the higher price. Seems at their core, these cars are all worth 10 grand. Different wheels, DOD delete, whatever console, seems no matter what condition it's in they're $10,000 cars once they reach anything near 100,000 miles. I think that 2016 is worth more in a vacuum, but if I own it a couple years and it gets to those miles, its value will be the same as all the rest. The whole idea behind buying one of these is a cheap hot rod that I can tinker on and gradually improve without losing my ass financially. Still so tempting cause it's so clean...

So for now, I'll keep lurking, and reading everything posted so I'll be more knowledgeable once I have one. Below is a picture of my "Bodozer". That's my daily driver for the moment. Below that is my FJR1300 that I think I may end up selling. I just don't ride it as much as I would like, or that I thought I would when I bought it. I've always been a sportbike guy, and I thought this bike would be a good move into getting older. Well.... It's nice, and I wouldn't call it slow... But... It's sooooo slow. I just can't get excited riding that bike. I learned to ride on a showroom new R1 back 20 years ago, and pretty much all I've ever ridden has been literbikes. I think the FJR1300 needs to turn into a ZX14. Meh, I tried to be old, I suck at it.

Bodozer.jpg
Bodozer.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 3803 times
FJR1300.jpg
FJR1300.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 3803 times
Mooseman

Re: Hello from the Low Country (Charleston, SC)

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Good luck with your search.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
AceVL

Post by AceVL »

IM28702 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:03 am Hello from Charleston, SC. I haven't yet purchased a Caprice, but that's my intent in the next few months. I tend to do a massive amount of research and learning before buying anything so I know what to look for or avoid. That's the stage that I'm at now. So far it looks as though I'd prefer the 2014 for the newer dash, but they're certainly harder to come across. The 2016 for sale on here in upstate NY is tempting, but I just don't know that I could stomach the higher price. Seems at their core, these cars are all worth 10 grand. Different wheels, DOD delete, whatever console, seems no matter what condition it's in they're $10,000 cars once they reach anything near 100,000 miles. I think that 2016 is worth more in a vacuum, but if I own it a couple years and it gets to those miles, its value will be the same as all the rest. The whole idea behind buying one of these is a cheap hot rod that I can tinker on and gradually improve without losing my ass financially. Still so tempting cause it's so clean...

So for now, I'll keep lurking, and reading everything posted so I'll be more knowledgeable once I have one. Below is a picture of my "Bodozer". That's my daily driver for the moment. Below that is my FJR1300 that I think I may end up selling. I just don't ride it as much as I would like, or that I thought I would when I bought it. I've always been a sportbike guy, and I thought this bike would be a good move into getting older. Well.... It's nice, and I wouldn't call it slow... But... It's sooooo slow. I just can't get excited riding that bike. I learned to ride on a showroom new R1 back 20 years ago, and pretty much all I've ever ridden has been literbikes. I think the FJR1300 needs to turn into a ZX14. Meh, I tried to be old, I suck at it.

Bodozer.jpg

FJR1300.jpg
Someone from Chucktown, that's good (I went to CofC, but live in the upstate). If you weren't looking at GovDeals the last few weeks, they had two Charleston County PPV's for sale, but the auctions ended. There were one or two other SC cars on there, but they seem to pop up frequently.
South Cackalacky

2014 Caprice PPV
2005 Pontiac GTO
1998 Lexus SC400
IM28702

Post by IM28702 »

Ya, I saw those on govdeals, but I'm still not ready to buy, and I'd like to buy something to drive, not rebuild. But hey!!