Willy from Philly

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Willigaf

Willy from Philly

Post by Willigaf »

Howdy folks. 36, male, Philad... wait a sec.

I kid. Name’s Will.

Brought home a 2012 ppv yesterday. Had been looking for a toy to one day add many psi’s to. Found several ppv options at Asia motors in Illinois a little higher than I wanted to play around with. They were clean looking though with 100k less miles than mine.

And probably didn’t have their emblems removed with a frikkin screwdriver like mine. So the price was appropriate there, and here.

Quit looking, switched to C10’s and G bodies. Hit a wall of rust or weight in gold pricing. Searched on. Typed in caprice again. Maryland must have just sold off a handful. There’s like 5 on CL in my area(within 200 miles anyway). Called the number of one that matched the cash on hand. 2 days later I have a wiggle at highway speed, a small exhaust leak, tpms inop, and a basket full of dreams.

So here I am. Some pics will do the cloud thing soon and be on the iPad here for me to post I’m sure.

I’ll have many questions eventually. Already found some answers regarding the sensors and vibration. Been a car guy longer than I could drive, forum regular in my time so I’ll not be bumping 7 year old posts and such. And I’m hoping to learn and have a good time here so, that’s it for now.
IM28702

Re: Willy from Philly

Post by IM28702 »

Welcome. I have also looked at Asia Motors, and agree that their stuff is clean. And they're proud of 'em.
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Here it is. With some Camaro wheels to pick from. Like the top 2. Both under 400 with useable tires. Both 18s. That’s all I could get from the guy selling them. He doesn’t know the years or the widths.

I read some about the Steelies not clearing brake upgrades which weren’t in the basket before I found this place. Without getting too technical here I wonder if anyone recognizes the wheel years. I can find more info from there.

And apologies for pic size and orientation. I’ve been away many years from forums at this point.
Attachments
4D93ACE8-CBBD-431E-AA79-D0D8FF442D64.png
4D93ACE8-CBBD-431E-AA79-D0D8FF442D64.png (3 MiB) Viewed 7179 times
02E33BA0-A639-4F45-857F-C2F6A6BBB7F2.jpeg
02E33BA0-A639-4F45-857F-C2F6A6BBB7F2.jpeg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 7179 times
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

Is there a turbo section to start a new thread in? I want to put a turbo on, dod delete, cam and the stuff I know is needed to accompany that/tune. Figure that’s an easy way to 500 or so at the wheels and turbo noise.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Willigaf wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:30 pm Is there a turbo section to start a new thread in? I want to put a turbo on, dod delete, cam and the stuff I know is needed to accompany that/tune. Figure that’s an easy way to 500 or so at the wheels and turbo noise.
Welcome! Start a thread in the Member Build section. That's where pretty much all the projects go.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

I’m gonna wait til I actually do anything and have some pics in that case. Sold an F150 today that will fund most of the upgrades though.

So far I’m thinking the 2017 Sloppy way to 500 at the tire is my plan. Any fans of his here?
IM28702

Post by IM28702 »

The 18" V6 Camaro wheels at the top would be my vote for the best looking, but they're pretty common.
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

You know what, I pulled off the hub caps today and the paint is nice on the stockers. Dirty. Couldn’t get them clean from 8-9 years of brake dust/road grime dirty. But I will with a few more washes I think. Gonna leave them for now.

My LS buddy believes I’ll be fine with 18’s and a drag radial with my horsepower goal, so wheels are definitely back burner right now.

Speaking of wheels I switched the bent driver front wheel with the spare, which has a tpms sensor thankfully. No alert on the DIC, but I relearned the tpms on all corners/“corrected” the pressures(42 all around and the DIC says it’s fine) to be proactive. I’ll drive it tomorrow after rush hour to test the highway speed vibration, or hopefully lack there of. And to show it off to a friend a few exits south of town.

Also, spent a couple hours and worked my fingers sore with a rag and some goof off. Trunk and driver side quarter/door have no more glue. Passenger side quarter and door, I’m thinking the joker that removed the stickers lost his flat tip screwdriver somewhere. That side has less scratches but a lot more glue. The goof off wasn’t working(sun and hot out on that side of car, hopefully the issue). Brake cleaner also didn’t work. Yes, I said that out loud. Brake cleaner on the paint. Not ideal, figured it was better than a screw driver.

An environmentally friendly but actually useful spray degreaser also had no effect. Gave up for the morning and took a nap.

Sort of. I washed the car with a high pH wash before all this, love the stuff. EZ Kleen by EZ Oil I think. Pink, gallon jug. Well worth the 25ish bucks.

Went at the glue, then washed all the res of removers/degreasers with some name brand but rather generic plain car wash. Then took a nap. Did the tire shuffle after.

Definitely in love with the front end. The rear, more like a friend with benefits. And that benefit is the rear, is attached to the same car as the front. Is there anything that can be done to “sharpen” or “square” up the back of the car? Cause it’s really boring back there.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

The stock AU spoiler?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1068

Also if you like the stock wheel look, what about getting your rear steel wheels widened by an inch or so and then you can run a 285 rear drag radial?
Willigaf

Post by Willigaf »

xcidmigs wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:24 am The stock AU spoiler?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1068

Also if you like the stock wheel look, what about getting your rear steel wheels widened by an inch or so and then you can run a 285 rear drag radial?
I like the sound of that. I wasn’t really aware that was a thing. I’m wondering how wide I can go on the stock wheel if an extra inch is good for a 50mm wider cross section of tire.

Went back to work on the glue today before the car warmed up. Whether that was a factor, or because I switched to the “orange power” goof off, it stayed wet longer and softened up the rest of the goo. Finished that up in about 30 minutes and gave it a quick wash in those spots.

The front end vibration also went away with the spare tire change.

Tried to do a burnout a couple different ways and had no luck. Tastes like disappointment. :?: