2011 caprice ppv

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
gatorbait

2011 caprice ppv

Post by gatorbait »

thank you admin. for adding me, love my chevy police vehicles.this is my 3rd,the other 2 were a 1994 and prior .if im understanding correctly from threads on this page ,this vehicle was manufactured in Australia ? i do know from recent first hand experience , my local gm dealer dont have a clue. after purchasing this low mileage orange co. commiefornia vehicle in florida . i drove it home to ohio .and before i found this venue ,made the mistake of thinking my local dealership knew what they was talking about when they told me, oh ya no problem we do them all the time 86.00 dollars and about an hour we will have all your features working .well yall know they are idiots on these vehicles ... my once limited info center is now a dead screen in the middle of my dash . they locked it up on a blue screen that is awaiting programming completion, wouldn't even shut off when the car was shut off .had to pull the fuse .said they need the notorious EL 50334-10 and couldnt find one . i went to gm tools and found one for 186.00 but seems it hasnt shipped after almost 2 months. again before i found this forum. now ive seen threads here that may indicate, the blue screen may be as yall so quaintly put it bricked ?????? is this so? if i have to buy a new brain box , any info where to purchase would be appreciated. and yes i will be shipping it off to white auto to have it done proper . i also will be dropping in on various thread in the future ,asking a whole lotta dumb questions ,on projects i have in mind . and ill thank you a head of time for your patience with my autism lol.
Mooseman

Re: 2011 caprice ppv

Post by Mooseman »

Welcome! Yeah, you learned real quick that stealerships don't know squat, even their more common vehicles.

Yeah, definitely get in touch with White Audio. He can tell you if it's permanently bricked or not.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
119C3NJ

Post by 119C3NJ »

If your radio is in fact shot there is also the Australian radio option. If you do want the cable I have one with the proper ends. njwheel@gmail.com for direct communication with me. Welcome to the forum. if your on Facebook you can find lots of groups dedicated to these cars.
2011 9C3 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
1995 MG5 Yukon GT Black
1993 Harley Davidson FLSTC Black
shawnjon82

Post by shawnjon82 »

I have extra radios just shoot me a PM
gatorbait

Post by gatorbait »

Appreciate the responses guys the radio does still work ,just doesn't pick up very many stations and the volume knob and tuner knob are both missing the volume side seems to have a bit of never been used issues .it wants to bounce back to 0 when I try to turn it up .I will eventually pull the box and send it out to whites .but I'm working on other minor issues currently .just got my tow hitch installed.made flag mounts for the receiver for my large american and rebel flags .need to find odds and ends like drivers rear triangle window chrome cover ,radio knobs (extinct animal they are ). Gonna pull the exhaust and knock out the cats (not required here in corn an cow country) and thinking bout plasma plugs .
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Volume Control on the Radio: commonly problematic. You're better off controlling the volume with the steering wheel controls. I know mine's a problem and I've heard of others with the same issue.

Knobs: The knobs are hard to get. Not only are they a funny shape but light comes through them to show a "light ring" so you can find it in low light conditions. In other words, they're unique with no "off the shelf" replacements available. I think they're a little weak and tend to break which makes them more rare.

Radio Stations: It sounds like you have an antenna, or antenna connection issue. My reception was good with the original radio and with the replacement Aussie unit.

Radio Removal: Be very careful with the connector on the driver's side of the radio (antenna I think) - kind of brittle and hard to get your fingers in well enough to squeeze the "release tab" on the top side. Pushing on the release tab without supporting the bottom of the connector will likely break the "very weak" plug (that's very difficult to fix).

Other Thoughts: I bought an Australian radio that has Android Auto (about a grand :shock: ). I'm not sure I'd do that again. Rather, I'd do the White thing. My reasoning is that I find that I mostly use the Blue Tooth capabilities (which works with the White solution): Phone, blue tooth for audio. I sometimes go "Android Auto" for mapping and other Android Apps but not yet enough to justify the extra 800+ dollars.

Cats: I'd think a lot about knocking out the cats before I did it. Maybe remove them and sell them (replace with pipe). They're worth some decent money. Also, once you do that, you will throw codes and many find that there's little to no difference performance-wise going "cats" or "no cats". If you want less back pressure, consider a new system or go to Solo Axle Backs. Headers also change things considerably. Once you make any of these changes, it's possible you will need to do some "programming" to get your mixture correct. For that you'll need something like HPTuners, programming credits, a wide band O2 sensor and a lot of patience to tune your engine. All of these mods could technically be illegal and minimally are for "off road use only".
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
gatorbait

Post by gatorbait »

Thank you very much , exactly the info I needed ,was worried bout throwing codes I'm now looking into a remote discreet tuner that is programmable with options for downloaded tunes .
As for the radio definitely going with the white option but it's not a big hurry I like my beats pill for now but the radio knobs are really bugging me as I hate seeing the naked stubs just sitting there taunting me daily 🤣 I'm more interested in finding a set of them before anything else .OCD 💪 is strong in this one 😁
But I do appreciate your response very very thorough and informative thank you very much.