Future Vehicle

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
9C1 Newbee

Future Vehicle

Post by 9C1 Newbee »

Waiting to snag one of these puppies when it becomes available. Till then, maybe I can learn something. It certainly won't stay stock for long. ;)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Future Vehicle

Post by Navy Lifer »

Hey Jason, good to see you here - welcome aboard!

Is the PPV being used (much) by law enforcement agencies in California?
9C1 Newbee

Post by 9C1 Newbee »

Hello, Bill! I have not seen a Caprice in person yet. I was Just reading an article how San Bernardino Sheriff opted for the Caprice. The deputies liked it the best. Due to the inability to be fitted with ballistic door panels, the idea was scrapped. :| V6 Chargers dominate the LE market here in CA.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

First I had heard of the door panel issue--is that something new, or have most police cars received ballistic material upgrades? Did the Crown Vic or previous B-body 9C1 use BDP's, and what about the current Impala "Classic" FWD? I assume this is for county (sheriff) and city LE vehicles? Does LA Sheriff have any Caprice PPV's?

I was already aware that CHP wasn't going to use the Caprice, but they're heading more toward SUV's over sedans--at least that was my impression.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Thet's interesting on the BDP issue. I've seen at least one outfitter on the web listing the panels as an option and providing fee information for fitment. I would be very suprised if they could not be fitted as the Caprice doesn't use any construction or assembly techniques that are non-standard that I'm aware of that would preclude fitment.

Welcome Jason!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

They do make ballistic panels for our cars...

http://progard.com/products/Ballistic_Door_Panels.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
9C1 Newbee

Post by 9C1 Newbee »

Tom Slick wrote:They do make ballistic panels for our cars...

http://progard.com/products/Ballistic_Door_Panels.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later,
Tom Slick
Interesting. I wonder if they knew.

Here is the article I was referring to. http://www.vvng.com/san-bernardino-sher ... -for-2014/
Navy Lifer wrote:First I had heard of the door panel issue--is that something new, or have most police cars received ballistic material upgrades? Did the Crown Vic or previous B-body 9C1 use BDP's, and what about the current Impala "Classic" FWD? I assume this is for county (sheriff) and city LE vehicles? Does LA Sheriff have any Caprice PPV's?

I was already aware that CHP wasn't going to use the Caprice, but they're heading more toward SUV's over sedans--at least that was my impression.
When I worked for San Bernardino, I noticed a little sticker on the door panel that read "Ballistic Panel" in the crown vics. Not sure about the Tahoes. I had no idea what it would or wouldn't stop, how big the panel was, or what it was made out of. I didn't even know it was a policy requirement to have them. I couldn't tell you if most cars do or don't have them. It does appear to be a mod not done by the OEM. I am about to do a few ride alongs with other agencies. I will pay more attention.

Not sure about what LA uses now. I have not seen one chippy SUV yet. They are still rolling vics, as far as I can tell.
elc32955 wrote: Welcome Jason!
Thank you, Eric. :)
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Found this link for the Ford ballistic panels. Seen a couple in the salvage yards with the Ballistic panel emblems.
http://www.1automotive-components.com/b ... panels.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And, sorry my bad! (EDIT)
Welcome to the group Jason!

Later,
Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

It might be because you could order the Ford police cruiser with the ballistic panels factory installed...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Wonder if those panels are able to be pulled easily if they're in the yards. Might be a market in South Florida for that upgrade.... :)
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.