Will be buying as soon as the right one shows up near me

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
v8suprcapric

Will be buying as soon as the right one shows up near me

Post by v8suprcapric »

But I still need to figure out what the right one is....Went and drove a 2011 today (with lightbar and shield on the side and all), it was all I imagined and then some. I'm a big V8 Supercars fan so when I finally find the right Caprice in the $20-25k range I'll buy it and be driving home thinking I'm Jaime Whincup (yah I know not a SS but I'm not about to pay $46k for one of those).
It'll be nice to add another Caprice to my stable, my longtime project and car I'll probably never sell is my '87 Caprice with lots of 9C1 options, a 383 stroker, 700r4, and some 275/60r15's all around.
I'm gunna start looking around the forums, mostly interested in transmission options. Do people put manuals in these? Or are the newest ones with the tap shift really as great as some say? What year did they start having tap shift? Is it really mounted on the back of the wheel rather than the steering column? What the hell? Ok enough of that, I'll go do some reading now and hopefully find the answers to all my questions. Glad to have found this forum!
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
Gerome

Re: Will be buying as soon as the right one shows up near me

Post by Gerome »

Welcome to the forum . You shouldn't have a hard time finding a nice caprice in your price range . I got one for about the same reason (poor man SS ).
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome!

On the tap shift, it was included as standard equipment for all of the 2011-2013 9C3 cars (the "detective" package with the shifter in the middle of the center console with the silver surround). That's one of the reasons why the V8 9C3 cars are so much more desirable. The 9C1 cars did NOT have the Tapshift as a factory-included option and have a different shifter, mounted to the left forward section of a flat console. One of our members (Gregc) has installed the 9C3 console in his 9C1, but at considerable expense and labor. I'm honestly not sure if he has reprogrammed his car to enable the function. You can get other 9C3 cars, but what's available right now is in the V6 model pretty much. Of course it's still a 300hp Caprice with the same motor that's in the V6 Camaro. But if you like horsepower, the V8 is a no-brainer!

So far, no one has installed a T56 that we know of (on your manual tranny question).

But - just remember the V8 cars are becoming more scarce expecially in the 9C3 package. If you find a car, don't wait. Deal hard and hammer it. Or someone will beat you to it....

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
v8suprcapric

Post by v8suprcapric »

elc32955 wrote:On the tap shift, it was included as standard equipment for all of the 2011-2013 9C3 cars (the "detective" package with the shifter in the middle of the center console with the silver surround).
Thanks Eric! So is this what I'm looking for? This pic is from a 2011. That's the tap shift function when you move the shifter to the right, yes?
1987 Landau (383 stroker, vortec heads, 700r4, posi rear, Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Bassett 15x8, BFGoodrich 275/60, 9C1 speedo)
2011 9C3 (K&N CAI, Weldcraft widened 18x9 factory steelies, Bridgestone 285/35)
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

That would be yes! 8-)
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

That's the money shot! Good hunting!!
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

In summary: pushing the lever to the right first enables sport shift mode. Which is still automatic shifting but will shift more aggressively and will hold the gear when you let off the throttle (only if driving aggressively, it detects this somehow). It does a reasonable job and is fun on very windy, hilly roads (it kinda does automatically what you would normally do if you were driving a manual, downshifting and holding the gear). This mode will also display the auto-commanded gear on the display. It won't go into the manual tapshift mode until you try to manually downshift or upshift. As soon as you do that, it goes out of sport shift and into manual shift. Keep in mind that it will not let you stall the car and will deny shifts that it thinks doesn't make sense (like going to 6th at 20MPH), so even though it's manual, your inputs are buffered to be idiot-proof. It is impossible to go back to sport shift mode from manual mode without moving the shifter back to the left (normal auto mode) and then back to sport shift. That's a little annoying.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.