New to the Caprice PPV and LS engines.

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: New to the Caprice PPV and LS engines.

Post by Navy Lifer »

Hendo wrote: PaceSetter Painted Long Tube Headers, 08+ G8 GT (1 3/4" prime, 3" collector)
SKU: 66-70-2259 $329.99
PaceSetter 3" Off-Road Header Extensions
SKU: 66-82-1165 Change This Kit
$149.99

I was thinking about welding universal 3" X pipe to Pacesetter off road extensions the stock 2.5" tail pipes and mufflers(unless a full 3" is really necessary). Thinking about maybe using an oil filter relocation kit for the oil cooler or replacing it with a lower profile oil cooler that runs lines to an actual radiator instead of the stock heat exchanger style that is liquid to liquid and uses engine coolant to cool the oil and prohibits the fitment the G8 headers would rather not delete oil cooler if possible. Has anyone tried the Pacesetters headers? Do I really need to pony up for Stainless Works? basically I picked the cheaper parts in the hope that the power added per dollar is greater than the expensive parts and put extra money in to strength extras in the kits.
Lee, it's really your call to either eliminate (by header choice) or modify the oil cooler setup built into the production engine package. GM put it there for a reason--so if you choose to go at it differently, just be aware of the possible ramifications.

Not intending to sound like Chicken Little about this--and it has been discussed previously, so it's good that you are thinking about it.
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Just to give a different viewpoint. :D I'm running a blower package, and G8 1"7/8 Kooks headers, no oil cooler. I run the car hard, and I've experienced no oil issues that I am aware of. I use a preminum oil, and change it every 5000 miles. YMMV
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

No worries, Bob!

For background, there's much discussion in the "Headers for L77" thread--summation and links for Lee's review:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12&start=60#p3281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

It's all good Bill! :lol: I'm ready for your next visit. You need to check out the new place, and of course, the eye candy! :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe