2013 Caprice in LA Soon

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
LA9C1

Re: 2013 Caprice in LA Soon

Post by LA9C1 »

probably in 2 weeks. waiting on shipping company to pickup.
LA9C1

Post by LA9C1 »

Car is arriving tomorrow. Does anybody in socal have experience registering vehicle purchased from out of state dealership? I read up on DMV website but want to make sure I get it right on first visit to local dmv office.

I have a bill of sale from dealership, sale and purchase agreement, and odometer disclosure statement.

The car is 2013 so less that 4 model years, which means I'm exempt from having to provide smog certificate, correct?

Do I have everything?

Thanks!
Chris_HT

Post by Chris_HT »

You need State Inspection together with Out of State form filled by the technician who performed the inspection.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

LA that is everything you need to register it but I think you need a title to transfer the title to CA. Or if No title was ever issued you need something from the buying states DMV that no title exists in that state. Thats when you use one of those "statement of facts" forms and send it to the buying states DMV and they fill it out confirming no owners exist in that state. Or if there is a title on file then you just go through the process of obtaining one in your name in that state then take it to CA DMV to get a CA title issued. Contact your dealer, they may have already gotten the process going on this.

CA will be happy to register it and give you tag's but the registration will say CA title does not exist. And that's fine you can keep renewing it and handle the title stuff later. Just cant sell it in the mean time.

And I do not believe any State inspection is needed from the other state. A trained DMV rep (or a AAA clerk) will check for the VIN in 2 places on the car. That is all CA requires as far as Inspections go.

I believe you are right on the SMOG though. Although do not be surprised if they ask for one as there maybe some rule that the 4 year rule does not apply for out of state vehicles. Or maybe only cars with the correct emissions stickers that meet CA standards.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
LA9C1

Post by LA9C1 »

It's here..
Attachments
IMG_20150426_101506058_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150426_101506058_HDR.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 12782 times
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Nice!!

Oh yes and do not forget proof of insurance for the DMV.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
LA9C1

Post by LA9C1 »

Steve,

Where do I find the label on the car that states it's California legal (50 state)?
Chris_HT

Post by Chris_HT »

smwalker wrote: A trained DMV rep (or a AAA clerk) will check for the VIN in 2 places on the car. That is all CA requires as far as Inspections go.

Different state, different rules I guess. Here in Texas you need the state inspection before you can register your car. And if the car is out of state then you pay an extra $1 for inspector to fill out "Out of State" form.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

LA9C1 wrote:Steve,

Where do I find the label on the car that states it's California legal (50 state)?
It's on the underside of the hood. Has the words CATALYST in big letters. Should say something about federal emission standards and or California 50 state legal. I think all caprices are the same. Meaning they did not make a California version like some auto makers used to.

Some info here:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy ... cts/ffvr29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

How did it go LA? Talking to my smog guy the other day, he confirmed all out of state cars need smog no matter the year. Guess you may have found that out on your own! DOH!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White