more Texas

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Chris_HT

more Texas

Post by Chris_HT »

Hello everyone. So the story goes......

One day I'm at work, running , another busy day at service department. When suddenly a weird, black and white car, pulls up for pre-sale inspection.

And I'm like: Uhhh, what's that? Interesting....

I give it a walk around

And I'm like: Let's look inside...

So I do.

And I'm like: Very interesting....

And then I look under the hood.

And I'm like: Have it. I must!

Needless to say I drove it home same day. And two weeks later:

And I'm like: F... Yeah! :D

I never heard about Caprice PPV before. But it took me 30 minutes to decide to buy it :) I got my car up on the lift, all the techs gawking at it while it was getting
inspected - and those 1700miles on odo did not lie - it was absolutely new car, it didn't get any dirty yet, even the undercarriage was perfectly clean like if it just came off assembly line.
The only thing it ended up needing was precautionary oil change, and chrome trim pieces on small side windows had to be re-secured
(one we actually replaced but it was an adventure - whole back interior including seat had to come out to get there)

After the fact I was glad to find this forum and realize I'm not the only private person driving one of those.
Even better that most of em seem to be here in Texas, one of them who is also Houston SCCA member just got his Caprice recently, and he is here on forums too.
I really like my Caprice - the handling, the power, the interior space - it's a great car. For now I just enjoy it and don't have any big plans yet. I do want to unlock the radio and upgrade speakers.
I do want to get one size wider wheels with g-force rivals one em for autocross and track runs - the current Wide Oval Indy 500 tires on stock wheels are good for commuting but on track they scream
from start to finish, and they scream LOUD ! In more distant future suspension upgrades and forced induction are possible ;)
Right now my PPV is spending it's third night at the dealer getting recalls done - apparently that's the first one their service dept. was ever working on.

And to finish the introduction. My Caprice with HPD PPVs in a 'family photo'

The Tech

Re: more Texas

Post by The Tech »

Welcome. Very nice. I'm sure you will enjoy your PPV as we all here have.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

Super nice car! I wonder who and why the emergency lights were left on it? If you don't want or need them, Ill buy them.

Also, I did not know HPD had Caprices. I have never seen one in the city. Due they use them for patrol or any other specialized units? Or do they just use them as driving training vehicles?

Very cool!
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome!! We have a goodly amount of Texas owners here, there is an enormous amount of expertise on these cars available on the forums. And a very nice looking ride BTW!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

9C1fanatic wrote:Super nice car! I wonder who and why the emergency lights were left on it? If you don't want or need them, Ill buy them.

Also, I did not know HPD had Caprices. I have never seen one in the city. Due they use them for patrol or any other specialized units? Or do they just use them as driving training vehicles?

Very cool!
Garner, I don't know the total number, but HPD has a handful. I'd guess it's in the couple of dozen range. The director of the Houston Police Academy drove one of these little jewels and felt they would be great training vehicles, given that they're RWD and a sedan. That fit nicely between the Tahoe, and the Crown Vic. He figured the PPV would have lower maintenance costs than the Tahoe, so he made a bid to procure a few from the HPD fleet, and won! I think he got a dozen.

He says the guys LOVE training with these vehicles. They have to limit in-car time, as while truly cheaper to maintain, the instructors and students literally drive the wheels off the cars. I'll note here that the concrete at HPA is pretty aggressive. We corded a set of street tires in 5000 miles, autocrossing out Mustang SVO.

EVERY police officer I've had a chance to talk to about these cars there has had nothing but glowing remarks. Usually, it's little more than a couple of thumbs up and a big grin, but other times, I get to talk cars a bit with them. They say they are a ton better than the Taurus AWDs they have. Much faster, handle better, and spend less time in the shop.

Chris told me the car was an upfitter's demo car, so it got the full light treatment, then sat mostly at shows, hence the low miles. It became available when the upfitter got a newer model. What great luck.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I've yet to see an HPD Caprice, and I get plenty of opportunity. I drive from Katy to I-45N and Beltway 8 every day. I see a few Pct. 5 Constables with them, both on I-10 in the AM and sometimes on the Beltway. I haven't seen too many more in service around here. There are a few in my home town, Lake Jackson.
Attachments
54cd9badf0cf8.image.jpg
54cd9badf0cf8.image.jpg (22.13 KiB) Viewed 14777 times
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'm not certain I've seen any in the wild yet, either, just Tahoes, and the occasional Explorer or Taurus. The only place I remember seeing a Caprice is at the HPA.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Chris_HT

Post by Chris_HT »

I just saw HPD Caprice in the wild this morning, just two blocks away from where I live, but LEO was having interaction with a person so I did not stop to take pictures.
9C1fanatic wrote:Super nice car! I wonder who and why the emergency lights were left on it? If you don't want or need them, Ill buy them.
Thank you. For now I will keep the car just the way it is.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I might have to take you up on that. My wife is great help in the garage (she's assisted with clutch rebuilds in our stick cars and the engine swap in the autocross car), but grows bored quickly. I have to keep having her do things, or she's off in a corner playing werds with friends. :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Chris_HT

Post by Chris_HT »

For me, any wrenching is a time well spent ;)