New member in Iowa

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
PPV4ME

New member in Iowa

Post by PPV4ME »

Hey guys,

My name is Collin, I live in Des Moines, Iowa. I have owned lots of older Caprices over the years (still own a '91 wagon) and have loved the PPVs ever since I saw them being used by enforcement. I just bought a wrecked 2012 PPV with 31k on it for $2,900. Unfortunately it is the V6, but when it comes to these cars, I'll take what I can get! It needs a front clip, core support and all airbags among other things. I posted in the wanted section as well but if any of you see these parts available in your area please shoot me a message. Eventually, I'd like to get some Holden parts for it to spruce it up a bit and get the doors and roof painted so it's all black, but that'll be after I get the front repaired. I can tell there's a wealth of knowledge about these cars here, thanks for having me!
Attachments
H5033H.JPG
H5033H.JPG (62.96 KiB) Viewed 14884 times
H5033F.JPG
H5033F.JPG (91.44 KiB) Viewed 14884 times
H5033-1.JPG
H5033-1.JPG (65.87 KiB) Viewed 14884 times
CrashTestDummy

Re: New member in Iowa

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Welcome! It looks like you have quite the project on your hands. A (re)-build thread would be fun to watch. I can't imagine what all the airbags alone will run you. Time to find one that's been backed into a tree, and combine the good parts!! :)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Welcome Collin!
You and I are almost neighbors. I live just south of Omaha, NE. I agree with Crash Test Dummy. Find a a rear ended Caprice and mix and match. Crazy Paul on the forum here has a great reputaion for shipping parts from Australia. I would grab what parts you want as Holden will be no more after 2017.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

And, unless you have a friendly dealer somewhere, these guys are pretty good for getting parts domestically:

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But yeah, Paul is the best source for Holden-specific parts.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

A good place to look for salvage yard parts is car-part.com.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
jpalmer

Post by jpalmer »

Hi Collin welcome to the forum!

I must say I am in awe of your enthusiasm to get this car in running order, and I wouldn't disparage myself over the V6, at 300+ hp that's nothing to sneeze at!

And any guy who can take on project like this is bound to be thinking about a good tune, possibly a set of 3.45s for the rear and wind up with a very capable runner....but this part can wait for a bit...so get busy! :D
Jeff

2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L
1996 Caprice LT1 B4U - Sold - So long my friend - it was a great 17 years!
2004 Suburban 2500 6.0L 4x4
2023 Silverado 3500 High Country
PPV4ME

Post by PPV4ME »

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I also appreciate the referrals to part sources. I use car-part.com all the time but there is nothing near me for this car unfortunately :( I will definitely watch CL for part outs though!

I am making good progress on the car. I have straightened the hood some and had a friend help me bring the frame rails to within about 1/2" of where they need to be which is leaps and bounds from where it started. I am going to start a build/rebuild thread to keep track of my progress. See you all in the other sections!
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome! Looks like a nice project you have there. Just remember if there's a LKQ yard near you, you can negotiate shipping with their counter folks on items within the LKQ system if they sell you the part at your local yard. If they want the business bad enough you'd be amazed what magic those guys can work, especially at end-of-month when sales totals are coming up for review by management :)

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

If you haven't already, I'd highly-recommend that you purchase the set of factory service manuals for this vehicle. The set is still available from Helm:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp? ... ted_media=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not cheap, but priceless, especially when you get to the point of fixing any broken wires.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
PPV4ME

Post by PPV4ME »

elc32955 wrote:Welcome! Looks like a nice project you have there. Just remember if there's a LKQ yard near you, you can negotiate shipping with their counter folks on items within the LKQ system if they sell you the part at your local yard. If they want the business bad enough you'd be amazed what magic those guys can work, especially at end-of-month when sales totals are coming up for review by management :)

Good luck!
Eric
That is really good information, it's rare that you can get companies to barter these days. I'll give it a shot! Thanks!
CrashTestDummy wrote:If you haven't already, I'd highly-recommend that you purchase the set of factory service manuals for this vehicle. The set is still available from Helm:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp? ... ted_media=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not cheap, but priceless, especially when you get to the point of fixing any broken wires.
This definitely seems like one where an FSM would come in handy. I will save up for one. Thanks!