Newbie here!

Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Forum rules
Welcome new members, please make your first post in this section. Say hello & tell us a little bit about you and your car. We're happy to see you here!
Dennis

Newbie here!

Post by Dennis »

Hi everybody and thanks, Eric, for organizing this site! Also, thanks to our cousins at the Pontiac G8 site for turning me on to here.

My name is Dennis. I'm a retired motor carrier compliance police officer from Connecticut, now employed by the US Dep't of Homeland Security, in Windsor Locks, CT. I've had P-71 Crown Victorias (personal ones) since 1987 and still have a 2007 CV, which is the back-up car. I decided to buy the PPV after figuring out that it would be a stretch before the new Ford Interceptors hit the used car market. And, oh yes, after the test drive, I was HOOKED!

I won my 2011 9C3 on an ebay auction, in February of this year, from Baker Chevrolet, in Red Springs, NC. It had 1255 miles on it when bought. Its Herron white, with charcoal interior and had all the common stuff sent over on these cars. I plan on doing some mods, like audio (it's TERRIBLE), exhaust and tires/wheels, etc. Nothing major, as the car sees about 80 miles a day. So far, I love the car and best of all, I have not seen another one here, period, either in police, or civilian use. It's so-unique to this area that when I was getting gas at Costco the other night, some guy two islands over came over, thinking that it was a new SS. He couldn't believe it was a Caprice. I'll post an image in my signature block soon.

Anyway, I look forward to becoming an active member of this community!

Dennis
Dennis

2011 Caprice PPV
2008 Mustang GT (wife's daily driver)
2007 C/V P-71
2006 F-350
1999 H-D FXWDG
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Newbie here!

Post by Navy Lifer »

Welcome Dennis....now, about that Homeland Security gig.....(jussssssst kidding!!!!!!) :mrgreen:

Seriously, glad to have you aboard--we're getting some "momentum" in this group!
gregc

Post by gregc »

Welcome Dennis. Congrats on the new 9C3. There are many mods you can do to the PPV. I have an 11 9C1 and have done plenty of mods already. Unfortunately this is the first new car I've ever owned that's considered a money pit. My friends think I'm crazy for changing so many things on such a new car. The radio is one thing you cannot change inexpensively. It's tied in with the HVAC and no aftermarket company comes with any type of adaptors that I know of. You can upgrade the radio to one sold by JHP.com.au
This gives you bluetooth streaming and 15 disc mp3 ripping to a built in hard drive. If you want bluetooth cellphone, you need to make sure your car is equipped with a mic. If you want Ipod connectivity or thumb drive, you have to buy the USB cable for an additional charge. If you want US maps and have sat navi enabled, you have to buy their maps for $900 AUD and you need a sattelite antenna. Aside from that, you could always upgrade speakers or buy a module such as Kenwood or Alpine that enhances the sound of factory car stereos with no aftermarket option.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Welcome Dennis! Glad to have you here and congrats on the car purchase! It is really unique and people don't know exactly what to make of it a lot of the time. I've had everything from "Wow, the Impala got bigger this year!" to people thinking it was the new SS. I've even had people come knocking on the door at the house wanting to see it.....

You're not alone in the domestic security world, one of the previous positions I've held was the regional communications chair for a 9-county area here in Florida for our joint task force. Fun times punctuated by moments of sheer terror... :)

Again, welcome!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Welcome!

Back in 2011 when I got mine straight off of a dealership lot, it would always attract a crowd at car shows. It was common to have people (yes, at gas stations and restaurants too) ask me about the car -- same questions -- if it was the new Malibu, Impala (and yes, even a Caddy, LOL). The hardest part was when they say they wanted one and I had to tell them "good luck" since it's a "fleet only" car. Of course they immediately think I'm stuck up for saying that. Plus I hate using the term "police car" since I've owned MANY 9C1s over the years and never got any positive feedback from anyone regarding the fact that I drive an old "cop car". Everyone around here immediately associates people who drive retired police cars as wackers. Too bad for me I guess that I just really liked B-Bodies (V8, RWD sedans).

Nowadays the PPVs are in the used car market. But back in 2011, it was pretty much impossible to get one. Fleet or not. I'm waiting to be asked if it's an SS this year. Especially because Criswell stuck SS badges on it. Honestly, I think the Caprice (front) looks better than the SS. The Caprice rear, though, looks too much like an Impala or Malibu.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Welcome, Dennis!
I know you will enjoy the Caprice. It is a great conversation starter every where I go. And the ride is nice. Plenty of room, every where. I have owned a 92 Special Service Mustang 5-speed, a 98 B4C Camaro and now a 9C3 Caprice. By far the best all around vehicle of the bunch. I hope you will enjoy yours!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Welcome Dennis!!!

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey Maurice, I didn't know you had a SSP Mustang! I've owned two of them, a 1985 carb model and a 1987 fuel injected. The 85 was the beast, I could never top it out as the front end floated too bad at speeds over 120 MPH. Both were ex-FHP, I had to bid against the trooper that drove the 85 (although I didn't realize it at the time!). Those were the days you could purchase a 65,000 mile car for around $3,500 to $4,000 out the door at the auction and drive it home the same day....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Eric,
Yep! Built a 93 Cobra motor with the x303 heads and a B303 cam. Same specs as Ford Motorsports 345 hp crate engine. Ran it up against the 140mph limiter. It was a TWITCHY thing above 120mph! Got to run the Mustang and the B4C Camaro together a few times. Mustang was quicker getting to 80-90. Camaro would walk around it after 100. The B4C would shift into overdrive at 135... can't wait to try the B4C against the 9C3!!!

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
bkwagonss

Post by bkwagonss »

Welcome Dennis.

Funny you say you never see the Caprice near you.
I actually had to drive up to a dealership in Mystic to buy my car from NJ.
2011 Caprice PPV 9C3 "karma"
2003 Silverado
1950 Chevy Fleetline
2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid (wife's car)