Splitter, anyone?

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Splitter, anyone?

Post by Navy Lifer »

Teaser photo--been working on this for awhile. More photos & info soon.
would this be of interest to anyone?
would this be of interest to anyone?
coming soon.JPG (89.18 KiB) Viewed 16175 times
CrashTestDummy

Re: Splitter, anyone?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Nice! Have you felt it doing anything?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Carbon Fiber, attach to the stock splash panel locations?

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Nice! Have you felt it doing anything?
This is initial install of the piece, still working out the complete mounting scheme, no road testing yet. Want to avoid external support rods. Those with experience in splitters assure me that this will produce front downforce.
Pursuit wrote:Carbon Fiber, attach to the stock splash panel locations? Maurice
No CF, but the material is high-density composite in a cloth/resin sandwich--ballistic-grade material - will eventually reveal full mounting setup. It will be a nice installation.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

more views - hoping to have pictures outdoors soon
PPV splitter1.JPG
PPV splitter1.JPG (93.47 KiB) Viewed 16098 times
PPV splitter2.JPG
PPV splitter2.JPG (95.38 KiB) Viewed 16098 times
PPV splitter3.JPG
PPV splitter3.JPG (76.61 KiB) Viewed 16098 times
PPV splitter5.JPG
PPV splitter5.JPG (79.9 KiB) Viewed 16098 times
wheel opening deflector that ties in to splitter and provides a finished transition--red part is there temporarily to hold the part in place, still working on actual mounting
wheel opening deflector that ties in to splitter and provides a finished transition--red part is there temporarily to hold the part in place, still working on actual mounting
PPV splitter6.JPG (108.46 KiB) Viewed 16098 times
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

Looks nice ! Gives the front a little more character .
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Thanks!

Certainly part of what I'm after with this effort--short of a cost-effective way of bringing in the Holden Caprice bumper cover--this is something that helps take the focus off of the shortcomings of the stock front end, which, face it, was really designed for ground clearance more than anything else, rather than any aerodynamic enhancement.

I won't have numbers, since a wind-tunnel would be needed to measure any change in aero pressure, but I do think it will reduce lift in front--not to say it's a big problem, considering the somewhat nose down/wedge profile of the car in stock form.
rtormet

Post by rtormet »

I definitely want one of those. Ive been trying to find ways to spice up the front end looks.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

rtormet wrote:I definitely want one of those. Ive been trying to find ways to spice up the front end looks.
Looking forward to providing more details soon--still working out the mounting setup, and weather has not cooperated as far as getting this car outside for some better photos. The mounting hardware is going to be a critical item to achieve proper mounting so the splitter will be stable in aero-loaded conditions, and there's still a bit of work to do. My intention is to create a mounting kit, so that no one has to re-invent the wheel when installing this part.

Big concern is cost of the material, and not knowing what the true level of interest is out there, the viability of this version isn't certain. Giving consideration to offering the part in a less-costly material--this one is super-strong, and made with the same approach as shown on many race cars--function first, then cosmetics. I'm intentionally dancing around direct discussion of the actual cost, I will admit, until it's determined that a different material that has adequate strength & durability can be created that will mount in the same fashion.

FYI - the material used to make this part is ~0.400" thick.

One thing that helps with creating a viable splitter on this car--the lower deflector/undertray & front bumper cover is the same for all model years of the PPV.

Meanwhile, a few more indoor shots--same car....the shop lighting and low contrast between the car & splitter continues to be an issue to be able to really see how it looks on the car. Outdoor photos and mounting on another (color) car will help.
splitter1.JPG
splitter1.JPG (49.7 KiB) Viewed 16016 times
splitter2.JPG
splitter2.JPG (52.02 KiB) Viewed 16016 times
splitter3.JPG
splitter3.JPG (49.07 KiB) Viewed 16016 times
splitter4.JPG
splitter4.JPG (50.89 KiB) Viewed 16016 times
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

So if you drop a string off the bumper cover to the ground, it looks like it will impinge on the leading edge of the splitter? I ask, because while not many here will probably actually autocross these cars (save my wife and I), such a splitter would be illegal per the rules. It can't extend beyond the outer-most edge of the bumper(cover) when viewed from above.

Pending the mounting configuration, I guess someone could slot the mounting holes, so it can be slid back (and yes, less-effective) to accommodate this?

Otherwise, great work, great effort, and I am interested.

Wrap a bit of painter's tape on it and try to photograph it again. That might quickly help the contrast, especially in low light. Finding a sunny day down here has been an issue for the last month, too!!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?