Passenger Seat Air Bag troubles

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Passenger Seat Air Bag troubles

Post by smwalker »

Got to get a scanner capable of communicating with the SRS system and it will tell you what circuit is effected. Until then you are just guessing. Once you know the circuit you can inspect each leg or if and test the wires for continuity and resistance.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
StevenJay

Re: Passenger Seat Air Bag troubles

Post by StevenJay »

Yes that's the reason the airbag light is on. If it's a harness connector I would just cut out the smashed connector and solder in some small sections of gxl or rated automotive electrical wire to make up for the length the connector added and call it a day. You can also use crimp connectors of good quality like dura seal (heatshrinkable) crimp connectors. Since the connector is not at the airbag it self it has a way to disconnect for part replacement. Crimp or solder with care and done correctly because you do not want to create any extra resistance (ohms) in the airbag circuit. The Sensing and diagnostic module under the console monitors and checks each airbag circuit during startup to verify correct resistance values or else the airbag light stays on. Had airbag light on and dealer said it was a bad drivers side retractor. The car has never been in an accident and had 5000 miles on it. Turned out it was fine and I checked all connectors and applied dielectric grease per GM service manual. Certain airbag connectors also have shorting bars that will short the circuit to display the SRS light if they are not seated fully. Just disconnect negative battery cable and wait a couple minutes and nothing will blow up on you. Hope this helps.
Steven J.
-2014 Chevy Caprice PPV Pre-Production Pilot vehicle RPO code-Switchblade silver metallic purchased 11/2017
-2017 Chevy Caprice PPV- Switchblade silver metallic-GM Show Car RPO code. purchased 1/2018