Rear side window removal

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
kevink

Rear side window removal

Post by kevink »

Has anyone removed the rear side windows (the little ones that have the trim problem)? I'm just wondering if there are any tips on getting them out.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Rear side window removal

Post by smwalker »

According to the service manual it is just 4 screws but I bet there will be some sealant type of stuff on there to break loose. Maybe.

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
kevink

Post by kevink »

Thanks. Is that service manual available online somewhere? I managed to get one out. The rear seat, package tray, seat belt retractor, and some other trim pieces had to be removed first. There are four nuts that hold the window in. Access to the nuts would have been easy if I took the pillar trim out, but I don't have any experience with airbag components and didn't want to mess with it.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

No, Access to digital service manuals is mostly a paid service. I get it through my work. YOu can buy access from AllData just for a specific car, that's a cheaper way to do it.

The pillar covers that say "Airbag" on them do not have the airbag attached to them so it's really no big whoop removing them since you will not be touching the actual bag. Just another plastic cover.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

kevink wrote:Thanks. Is that service manual available online somewhere? I managed to get one out. The rear seat, package tray, seat belt retractor, and some other trim pieces had to be removed first. There are four nuts that hold the window in. Access to the nuts would have been easy if I took the pillar trim out, but I don't have any experience with airbag components and didn't want to mess with it.
The Factory Service manuals are available from Helm:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.as ... inc.com%2F

They're not cheap, but if you plan to do your own work, they are priceless, especially when it comes to decoding some error codes. I think the set for the Caprice is a 4 or 5 volume set.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?