Change caprice seats for 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan seats ???

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
sar94

Re: Change caprice seats for 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan seats ???

Post by sar94 »

Has anyone installed SS seats in a 2014 up yet? Thanks
I'm looking at a set and was wondering if it worked.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

there have been a couple i think , i havent gotten to mine yet

someone did say something about a red wire for the drivers seats that you need to bypass the memory module
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Only thing you need to do is bypass the memory module in the seat. Here is what someone posted to the FB group:

The connector under the seat is X323. So I guess on the SS Seat you will have wires going to each of those cavities but on the PPV side of the plug only one will have a wire.

This is the ss diagram:

LInk - Imgur Album
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
grittenhou

Post by grittenhou »

Only wiring mod needed to driver seat...correct? Reason I ask is I'm doing this mod now. Passenger seat initially worked then stopped. Thinking maybe I blew a fuse. Not clear to me from the limited wiring diagrams I have which is correct fuse. Think F13 and/or F6 in engine compartment block for 2014 model year. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.
grittenhou@gmail.com
2014 Caprice 9C1 L77
2006 GTO 6M
2004 Sierra 2500HD
1978 Trans Am WS6
1974 Blazer K5 4M
1968 GTO 400HO 4M
1965 GTO 462 4M
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Just a quick note, Pin 11 on the PPV seat (the 30A circuit) is the only one provided in the plug, pin 29 (the 10A circuit) is missing the pin in the PPV plug. I did the jump last night on a SS passenger seat to bridge the gap.

ALSO.... Has anyone else come to the opinion that the pre-tensioner is a cast-iron BEAR to pull off before you can remove a seat from the car? Little hidden GOTCHA there...

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

AND.... I've got my passenger seat in & working with the power functions, but I'm right smack-dab where Sacsrpc was a few years back - Airbag light on, "Service Airbag" message on the DIC. That'll teach me to speed-read the posts on the forum a bit better! I was proceeding down the same path he was (thinking about swapping in the PPV air bag), but after reading the post earlier in this thread I just realized that's No Bueno. So.... I could try to find a 2015 SS airbag and hope & trust it will retire the error message if I swap it in, live with an airbag light for the seat & have the bag isolated out & take no further action, or retire the light with the appropriate resistor and keep on trucking.

One other thing that will really confuse this issue. I just checked GM Parts Direct and according to the parts index the passenger seat airbags between the 2014 SS Sedan and the 2015 Caprice PPV both share the same part number (22772765). If this is true, could we perhaps be looking at a sensor compatibility issue I'm wondering?

So... what have other folks done in this situation? I'm not the first person to do this seat swap experiment!

Thanks
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Well, more information sheds a little ray of light on the mystery. I had the car scanned at the local fleet service outlet this morning, turns out the airbag code being thrown indicates that the buckle pre-tensioner has been blown. No other warnings. So, seems like an easy fix as long as the part from the Caprice seat will move over onto the SS seat.

The project continues!
Eric
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

All fixed! Just for some closure on my airbag issue, it was NOT the buckle or the pre-tensioner that was bad. Turns out it was "pilot error" (I.E. my fault). Had the car in today for a rear diff service & coolant flush at the place I use locally, very good fleet service center. I know the manager there pretty well, and as a favor he took the extra time to have his lead mechanic put it on the computer again and physically eyeball inspect the system as a freebie. Turns out the yellow connector was not plugged into the pre-tensioner all the way and was throwing a high-resistance error. Unsnap the safety, push down hard, re-snap the safety, clear the code and BAM DONE! No more light! My passenger SS seat is in it's new happy place, making my wife's tushie comfortable. I get the police seat for the time being :)

Eric
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

elc32955 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:35 pm All fixed! Just for some closure on my airbag issue, it was NOT the buckle or the pre-tensioner that was bad. Turns out it was "pilot error" (I.E. my fault). Had the car in today for a rear diff service & coolant flush at the place I use locally, very good fleet service center. I know the manager there pretty well, and as a favor he took the extra time to have his lead mechanic put it on the computer again and physically eyeball inspect the system as a freebie. Turns out the yellow connector was not plugged into the pre-tensioner all the way and was throwing a high-resistance error. Unsnap the safety, push down hard, re-snap the safety, clear the code and BAM DONE! No more light! My passenger SS seat is in it's new happy place, making my wife's tushie comfortable. I get the police seat for the time being :)

Eric
goods news
grittenhou

Post by grittenhou »

Finished install of 2014 SS seats in 2014 PPV. Confirming only modification is to couple power lines on driver seat. I did have an issue with passenger seat blowing fuses, but that seems to be resolved now. Just keep extra 30A Jcase LP fuses in the glovebox. :)
grittenhou@gmail.com
2014 Caprice 9C1 L77
2006 GTO 6M
2004 Sierra 2500HD
1978 Trans Am WS6
1974 Blazer K5 4M
1968 GTO 400HO 4M
1965 GTO 462 4M