Change caprice seats for 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan seats ???

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
sacsrpc

Re: 2014 Chevy SS seats for sale

Post by sacsrpc »

Has anyone actually gone through with a swap like this. I used the search function, but only found a thread regarding ctsv seats and that swap was not started.

I am in the process of starting to swap my seats. I was able to figure out the seat track mounts.....now I need to figure out the srs equipment and swapping the sensors over to the ss seat Frame. And yes, I am aware of the issues/liability involved with altering the factory airbags.
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

Say it ain't so ! Did they swap right in or was there a lot of work to get them in ? They look good from here .
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

AHA!!! Someone is finally doing this mod! Very good.... Plenty of pictures please so we can do a FAQ for the people that follow you. Also some questions I have right off the bat;

1) Do the seat mounts from the 2011-13 car match up with the 2014 seat? If you modded the mount what did you have to do?
2) Electronics, what kind of mods are you having to make to get them to work?
3) When you get to it, SIR system mods....
4) Did you (hopefully) get a good deal on the new seats?

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
sacsrpc

Change caprice seats for 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan seats ???

Post by sacsrpc »

I am in the process of starting to swap my seats. I was able to figure out the seat track mounts.....now I need to figure out the srs equipment and swapping the sensors over to the ss seat Frame. And yes, I am aware of the issues/liability involved with altering the factory airbags.

Issues I am running into so far

Seat Mounting (solved)
The factory SS tracks use the same style hook mount on the front of the seat as the Caprice. However, the rear mounting bolt hole location and mount style if different. The Caprice rear mounts are riveted to the seat track. I drilled the rivets out and then attached the mounts to the caprice seat tracks by riveting and welding them

Seat Electronics (Unresolved)
I have the factory wiring schematics for the Caprice and the SS. I was able to power up the seat track to get the seat adjustments to work. I did not pursue the seat heater of ventilated seats any further. I am not overly concerned as I think those should be fairly easy to get working. Obviously they will be manually controlled and not tied into the BCM.

Seat SRS/Airbag (Unresolved)
This will probably be the biggest pain of the swap. I removed the cover for the SS seat and found it uses a totally different style airbag than our cars do. The airbag appears to be sewn to the seat cover in some parts (I did not disect it to far). My original plan was to swap the Caprice air bag into the seat. I am no thinking using the SS airbag is really the only option. Not sure if this will causea code with the caprice SRS module and sensors. As far as the Seat position sensor and weight sensor, I believe I should be able to transfer these onto the SS frame.

If anyone has been through this before or has any tips on the airbag/srs I am all ears.

This is likely to be a several week project since I do not have a lot of free time. So far I have only switched the passenger seat. I will update the thread as I progress.
Attachments
2016-05-29 22.27.44.jpg
2016-05-29 22.27.44.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 27165 times
yargnits

Re: Change caprice seats for 2014 Chevrolet SS sedan seats ?

Post by yargnits »

Good luck... I think you're in uncharted waters.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Topic merged over from the parts for-sale section!

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

I am looking forward to this , cause I would like to do the same .
lvgmman

Post by lvgmman »

Still interested in results. Thinking about doing the same thing in my g8. My other option is to get seat foams and covers from a VE HSV car from Australia but I'm not too keen on their design.
KERR

Post by KERR »

sticky!, or fallow or what ever i need to do to keep up with this post lol. good luck!
No Moa

Post by No Moa »

I was thinking of having my stock seats recovered, anyone tried that?
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.