Rear quarter window trim source

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
elc32955
System Manager

Rear quarter window trim source

Post by elc32955 »

OK, found some reference to the source for the chrome, trim, & plastic interior parts on our cars. Looks like Holden sources the components from this company...

http://www.mhgasiapacific.com/page/product_range.html

Not that we'd be able to buy from them directly, but - you never know! Always nice to know where the components are coming from.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Rear quarter window trim source

Post by smwalker »

Every other holden caprice or statesman in AU I see for sale is missing those quarter window trims. If those boys have not been able to find them by separately I do not think we will have much luck. Unfortunately. But good find. They supply a lot of the parts. ALways though each part would be a different company.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

hehe.....I recall I have one or both sides--managed to find mine that fell off (one in a car wash, the other....well, let's say it was just loose and fell off at an opportune moment). This happened while the car was still in warranty, so both got replaced with the service part--new quarter window assembly on both sides.
kevink

Post by kevink »

Even if you could buy the trim, what makes you think that it will not fall off again? The problem could be with the window, the trim, the adhesive, or any combination of the three. It's most likely not with just the trim. How do you know if the adhesive you are going to use is compatible with the plastic surrounding the window and the trim itself?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I can tell you from up-close observation that the issue is definitely adhesive failure--whether a poor application, or incorrect product choice, I cannot say, but I found in both cases that the product used was very spotty (as in small spots of the product were applied) rather than a full "bead" between the window housing and the trim piece.

The situation with me having a couple of trim pieces was pure luck--went to a drive-thru car wash, noticed the trim piece was missing, and we shut down the line and went in and luckily found the piece, which obviously was just about ready to fall off.

The second failure was again just a lucky situation--happened to be doing something on the car and took the occasion to check the trim (other side) and it was just barely hanging on. So, rather than lose it somewhere on the road, I pulled it off myself. Knowing the history, and with the car still being in warranty at the time, the dealer replaced it.

Both sides have been good since replacement--I don't know if that means the "fix" is better now--with the number of failures we've seen just in the PPV group, you would hope so, but we're talking about a car that started production in 2006 or 2007, and even 5 years (2011) and later, the problem has remained, so it's not clear if anything has ever really been done to correct the QC issue with these parts.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I need to go check mine, but AFAIK, I still have both. I noticed some broken glass in the rear seat well, and figured that they may have either gotten one of the windows broken, or they purposely-broke it to R&R that quarter glass.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Both of mine fell off within a few months of purchase, and they were gone with the wind! :lol: The replacement windows and trim have held up, but I don't use commercial car washes much, anymore. 8-)

It is definitely a problem with the adhesive, as in junk!! :twisted:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
PPV

Post by PPV »

Was this issue resolved in later model cars. So far so good on my '13 but time will tell. My warranty is up December 2017.

On another note the spoiler on the supplier website looks like the caprice.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (90.01 KiB) Viewed 16802 times
1970 SS454 Monte Carlo - triple black
1971 SS454 Monte Carlo - Red w/ black gut & top
1970 Convertible Mont Carlo - Sold
1968 K10 short wheel base
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
2013 CTS-V Coupe Silver Frost Matte Eddition
2017 SS - PBM - M6 - Roof - Sold
2019 Silverado 1500 - LTZ 6.2
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

Being a bit paranoid I poked at mine and they both seem to be on pretty good. Is it a hit and miss type thing if you got bad adhesive? The previous owner didn't mention the trim.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Every 2011 I encountered had them fall off. YMMV
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe