Blacking Out Some Chrome

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Silversled

Blacking Out Some Chrome

Post by Silversled »

Just picked up a 2014 PPV with 50K miles a few weeks ago as a toy project car. I have big plans for this car but I decided to start blacking out some of the chrome bits with some black 3M 1080 film I had lying around. I love projects that don't cost anything!

In process of wrapping the grill bezel.

Done. I decided to do the Bowtie but after installation, I liked the stock Chevy badge as it was.

It turned out pretty well. Apologies for the the poor picture as it was only taken after the sun went down.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Silversled

Re: Blacking Out Some Chrome

Post by Silversled »

I moved to the trunk lid and took off the chrome trim.

I noticed the US trunk lid also has provisions for a rear view camera. The trim piece has a matching "box" in lieu of the camera unit.

Done.

I'll roll with this for a while and see if I like it.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

What is the process for that stuff? Heat?

Does it stay that shiny after getting weathered?

Would like to get that black shine on the grille cross hatch plastic. Would it conform to all those small holes?

Looks real nice!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

smwalker wrote:What is the process for that stuff? Heat?

Does it stay that shiny after getting weathered?

Would like to get that black shine on the grille cross hatch plastic. Would it conform to all those small holes?

Looks real nice!
Hello,

Thanks. The 3M 1080 film is self adhesive but can be pulled up several times during the process. The adhesive layer is grooved and it allows you to move air bubbles to the edge of part; very neat. It has extremely high elongation naturally but works especially great with small amounts of heat. However, something like a grill pattern would probably not work.

This is the same stuff they wrap commercial vehicles and show cars with and is guaranteed 5 years under outdoor UV. I blacked out my chrome stripe on the front bumper on the C7 Vette and it remains shine and intact after 2.5 years and it has been washed every weekend and driven in daily rain showers here in Florida.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

are you using the regular gloss black version of that? looks that way on the front grill pic, they sell a metallic black also that is almost a paint match to the stock black phantom metallic paint. I did the same to mine when i got it and all the parts have been installed on the car which sits outside all the time here in the NE with snow all the way to summer long 90's. Nothing has peeled or is discolored yet. The whole thing was much easier than the painting of the deck lid spoiler i did in the spring. Time to get some blackout tape for the window trim sir.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

xcidmigs wrote:are you using the regular gloss black version of that? looks that way on the front grill pic, they sell a metallic black also that is almost a paint match to the stock black phantom metallic paint. I did the same to mine when i got it and all the parts have been installed on the car which sits outside all the time here in the NE with snow all the way to summer long 90's. Nothing has peeled or is discolored yet. The whole thing was much easier than the painting of the deck lid spoiler i did in the spring. Time to get some blackout tape for the window trim sir.
Yes, very observant of you! I only had the normal black. I plan on redoing everything later. I'll be taking them off again later to wet sand and color correct the paint.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

smwalker wrote:Would like to get that black shine on the grille cross hatch plastic.
Steve, I think of this every time I see the ad on TV....not saying it's a good solution, but it does provide some temporary appearance improvement.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/0611 ... slider1=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://youtu.be/mtx9--22rg8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a car that was listed for sale--grille was painted, and pictures are still posted in the link:
http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Silversled wrote:I noticed the US trunk lid also has provisions for a rear view camera. The trim piece has a matching "box" in lieu of the camera unit.
Is there a corresponding opening in the trunk lid for that box to fit into? Would like to see a picture of that....the provision for camera was there, but it became standard on PPV in 2015 or 2016, don't recall which.

Thinking about doing some trim finish changes on my Alto Gray--change the bright chrome to Hyper Black or something else that isn't (as) reflective, but not just "black". Window moldings & trunk strip would be the most likely candidates for the treatment.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Navy Lifer wrote:
Silversled wrote:I noticed the US trunk lid also has provisions for a rear view camera. The trim piece has a matching "box" in lieu of the camera unit.
Is there a corresponding opening in the trunk lid for that box to fit into? Would like to see a picture of that....the provision for camera was there, but it became standard on PPV in 2015 or 2016, don't recall which.

Thinking about doing some trim finish changes on my Alto Gray--change the bright chrome to Hyper Black or something else that isn't (as) reflective, but not just "black". Window moldings & trunk strip would be the most likely candidates for the treatment.
Yes there is. My car is a 2014. Rather large picture attached to show detail.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Thanks for the photo--the deck lid itself is a different part, since the earlier cars had a key lock setup that was in the same hole as the camera goes now (after2014 or 2015, I think), and no second hole above it, where key lock setup is now. The PPV was fitted with a key lock for the trunk for various reasons, but primarily because, unlike civi models, the in-trunk "emergency" release mechanism is not accessible, as on G8 & SS with the fold-down rear center seat panel--even though the release handle is still in place on PPV's.