G8 console is in, but I need a Series 2 Shift Cover.

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
91C02920

G8 console is in, but I need a Series 2 Shift Cover.

Post by 91C02920 »

My G8 console is more or less in, now I need to get one of the shorter Series 2 shift covers.
The G8 cover it came with is 92206265 which comes up as VERY BLACK on
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/p ... 35389.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there a match for that on the S2 cover? Jade Black looks to shiny/glossy. Any idea how it compares to Very Black? Very Black one looks a bit flat, and I kind of like the color. I'm working from pics on the internet.
If not, I guess it will be the Radio Silver color.
indianajoe

Re: G8 console is in, but I need a Series 2 Shift Cover.

Post by indianajoe »

I didnt know g8s came with different color shifter surrounds, what trim level did you get your console from?

i ended up buying a shifter surround off ebay.au, it was listed as a series one, but the shape is right. it seems to fit, i'll know for certain when i put it all back together with the front compartment with a lid, also from down under
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Crazy Paul mentions in this thread that he has never been able to find one, Just the Jade Black:

http://www.g8nation.com/showthread.php? ... post509622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later in that thread he wrote this gem:
You exclude all years of Series1 SV6,SS,SSV because they have the same one piece centre stack as G8, and the gear surround trim is flat and 390mm long.
The Series1 cars with the radiused lower stereo stack all have the shorter 365mm long gear surround with the upward curve at the front.
Of those:
The cheaper cars like Omega, Berlina generally have the shiny bright silver (Micro Silver).
The more expensive cars like Calais, Caprice/Statesman, & the HSV cars all had the Charcoal Dark Silver Metallic (Rado Silver).

The one I've focussed on most is the Berlina because some of those got a little pretentious and had some unique trim colours and patterns in some of the early years. It's like the design studio gave the guy with pink shoes and nipple rings the Berlina file to run for a year or two.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

No idea what trim level my car came from, it was shipped from car-part.com. The part listing I linked shows it used on all trim levels, base, GT, GXP.

Thanks for the info Steve.
I can stop looking for a black one now and order one and PlastiDip it black.
Last edited by 91C02920 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Dont know about plasti dip for interior pieces. May want to see if this stuff Drew Used comes in a flat black:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May hold up better to scratches.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
91C02920

Post by 91C02920 »

The 3m stuff does look really good. Maybe I'll give it a go.
I looked at a few youtubes on PlastiDip'ed interior parts, seems like it comes out ok.

I wonder if Crazy Paul tried to look at any Vauxhall VXR8 interior pieces? Online pics seem to show a few different blacks, I can't tell from the pics the actual color. They also show another trim option for the center stack. This one has an angular transition, not a waterfall (trim looks jade black tho):

EDIT: CP was on top of that too. http://g8nation.com/showthread.php?t=33695&page=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Man that guy was good! :)