Chrome Window Trim Loose

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
ejf2461

Chrome Window Trim Loose

Post by ejf2461 »

My passenger side front door chrome window trim is loose in 1 spot. It looks like the clip underneath is bad or isn't seated properly. My dealer ordered me a few new clips which just arrived. Has anyone removed the chrome trim before? Is this something I should have the body shop do?
2013 Impala 9C1
2013 Caprice PPV 9C1 V8
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Chrome Window Trim Loose

Post by smwalker »

I posted this for the G8 guys who were replacing many of them due to deteriorating rubber. You basically just pull it up.

Service manual says:

For the front - Remove side view mirror, put window all the way down, Pull up on Outer Sealing Strip to release clips to remove

For the rear - Put window all the way down, Pull up on the Outer Sealing Strip to release clips to remove.

But from the feedback I got removal of the mirror is not needed, It slips out and in from behind it while it is in place.

Let us know how it goes for you.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
SmittySS

Re: Chrome Window Trim Loose

Post by SmittySS »

I need to attempt this on my 2012. Thanks for the info on how it's supposed to be done.

I stripped the white vinyl off the doors, but there still remains some beneath the chrome window trim and around the door handles. I'm leery of pulling the trim off the door and having the clips break on me. Do you know if they are plastic or metal? Perhaps I would be less concerned if they were metal... and if I knew they were still attainable at a reasonable price.

Any success stories anyone have to share?

Thanks.
Smitty