Lets talk steering wheels

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
BIG_GREEK

Lets talk steering wheels

Post by BIG_GREEK »

'Ello!! I had a spark moment today. Beings that the SS/Camaro/Caprice share some similar parts, I thought about doing a steering wheel swap from either an SS or a ZL1 Camaro. I found that the prices are fairly cheap compared to VW (What im used to), and thought either option I go with, itl be a reasonable swap. The airbags also are the same.

From what I saw on the SS forums, doing a ZL1 swap requires swapping the SS's buttons, but the SS has different options than what our caprice's have so the ZL1 wheels may fit.

From what I saw from the dealer, an SS wheel comes bare. So our trim, buttons, and airbag will have to be swapped. A ZL1 wheel comes loaded with buttons and trim without airbag.

Just a side note, the ZL1 steering wheel is smaller in diameter and thickness than the SS and Caprice. Also, ZL1 is alcantara and the SS is leather. Price difference is only 50 or so dollhairs.

What do you folks think?
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
Silversled

Re: Lets talk steering wheels

Post by Silversled »

Once I get my 2015 SS dash installed, the ZL1 wheel is on the list. My previous CTS-V Wagon and my ATS-V and C7 has the
ultra suede steering wheel. It's hard to go back to leather or vinyl/plastic.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

It may work. I went with one of the Holden wheels that Crazy Paul sold. It's leather-wrapped, and was a definite upgrade. Re-used the horn pad/airbag and the control buttons. It took longer to unpack the wheel from the shipping box than install it. :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Zeos

Post by Zeos »

Did anyone actually go through with this?

I just panic ordered a ZL1 wheel from ebay (~$215 delivered) because I was just hating on my stock wheel on my 2012 today.

I know I should be able to swap out the airbag but the cover / horn / don't know the exact name won't fit so I imagine I will need that part to complete the wheel.

What is it called/did I screw up?
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

If you do not have a 2014+ I am guessing it will not work on the 2011-2013 because the computer systems are different. The only wheel that I know of domestically is the G8 wheel as I have done that swap.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yea ZL1 wheel to 2014 UP Caprice is possible.

ZL1 to a 11-13 different animal. not going to say impossible but not going to say easy either. Keep us posted!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Zeos

Post by Zeos »

Im more concerned about the airbag swap. Does anyone know if the size is different on the acutal bag? I can get the buttons re-routed to another location if needed since the right side phone controls are useless anyway and the radio is going out of mine anyways.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Zeos wrote:Im more concerned about the airbag swap. Does anyone know if the size is different on the acutal bag? I can get the buttons re-routed to another location if needed since the right side phone controls are useless anyway and the radio is going out of mine anyways.
I just looked at my friends 2015 SS sedan I don't think the airbag/horn pad is the same as the one on my 2011 PPV so you may be looking at some extensive mods to make that work, not sure why you don't want to use a G8/holden wheel when they are plenty out there even used and are a straight plug in mod.

Whats with your radio? its broken?
Zeos

Post by Zeos »

xcidmigs wrote:Whats with your radio? its broken?
I refuse to yank it and have it modded just to add and Aux port when the overall quality is so meh. I rather not spend on that aspect just for an Aux and phone connectivity.

The G8 wheels are nice but that Alcantara is like my dream wheel. I might have to look for a junked/crashed newer camaro or vette or whatever will have that airbag and cover assembly. Also having a NEW wheel is important for me. Them dirty hands all over.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Nope, this is strictly for a 2014+ swap. The airbag is totally different. Even if you added a 14+ airbag with this steering wheel, im not sure it would work either. The SRS system will be looking for a certain resistance in that airbag, to make sure its there, and the 11-13 and the 14+ airbags may have a different resistance and cause issues.

Also, the buttons wont work either. Completely different electronics system.

So, without MAJOR modification, this will not work.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)