Front Fender Vents

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
toyguy5538

Front Fender Vents

Post by toyguy5538 »

Does anyone know if you have to remove the front fender to get the plastic fender side vent out, or will it pop out from the outside?
BIG_GREEK

Re: Front Fender Vents

Post by BIG_GREEK »

yea, you have to get a non marring pry tool from the bottom and try to get behind and pry slowly releasing the tabs. Another way is to use a screw driver and protect the paint with a towel and, again, pry slowly releasing the tabs.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Fender removal is not required.

Open the front door, and go in behind the fender with a LONG screwdriver or other tool to push outward "gently" on the rear-most plastic tab(s) along the top & bottom of the insert (3 on top, 2 on bottom), releasing it from the fender opening. The 3 upper retainer tabs actually have a small relief along the edge of the part, directly in line with the 3 retainers, to catch with a tool from the outside.

I can't tell you which may be easier to access (top or bottom) from inside the fender--just be careful as you're pushing on a tab to not slip and have the tool strike the inside of the fender, creating an "outie"....probably best to have a helper with a non-marring pry tool also working the part from the outside on the same retainer tab position being worked from the inside.

You'll need some light to see up into the area you'll be working.
toyguy5538

Post by toyguy5538 »

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I'll tackle it this weekend.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Or if you are pulling out the police ones and are going to thrown them away anyway grab em with some pliers and yank.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Don't throw them away, someone might be interested! ;)
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

You can remove a couple of the clips that retain the inner fender liner, and reach your arm up between it and the fender and get to the tabs. It's a tight squeeze, depending on how big your arms are, but that's how I did it. I think there were a couple of screws at the bottom, then a couple of the push-in retaining clips along the back edge of the wheel opening.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?