It all started with wanting cup holders; 2015 Chevy SS Dash

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
chrismcd11

Re: It all started with wanting cup holders; 2015 Chevy SS D

Post by chrismcd11 »

Victor, you detailed the dash install very well.
Any details and photos on installing the console and shifter?
What does the new console mount to?
Could you post a photo and circle what pulley needs to be cut?

Thanks!
2017 Chevy Caprice V conversion with HUD & Nav, VCM/OTR, Kooks complete system.
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT-8, 6 speed stick, with Whipple Supercharger.
2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8, Corsa exhaust, upgraded with DynaMat, Kenwood CarPlay, and idata Maestro display.
2014 Hyundai Equus Premium, 5.0 V8, RWD, the daily driver & road trip car.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

After several requests for more info on the floor (center) console and what I did to make it fit, here are some more pictures.

The Parking Brake bracket doubles as an adjustment feature for the cable coming from the foot brake. It also serves as a mounting provision for the steel rack that sits above it. It needs to be trimmed to its smallest possible size yet still retain the parking brake function. Here is what mine looks like after I trimmed it.

Also shown in the picture above are the left hand side steel tabs that come off the trans tunnel. These tabs are common to the Chevy SS and is where the floor console bolts to. There are a total of four mount tabs that correspond to the floor console.

On the console itself, the attachment holes that you bolt through are common to the plastic duct in the console. Unfortunately I sacrificed the ducting function and cut away the duct to make room for the brake mechanism. The idea is to cut enough away to clear the brake bracket when you place the console over it. There are two options. The first is retaining the four mounts which requires cutting away parts of the duct to clear the brake bracket while leaving the forward attachment lugs. The second and cleaner way is to cut out the entire forward sections of the duct and loose the forward two attachment points. This isn't a big deal since the front of the console is clipped and bolted to the dash panel. Here are the two options.

2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

im sure need some of this

thank you
dhiser1243

Re: It all started with wanting cup holders; 2015 Chevy SS Dash

Post by dhiser1243 »

How much of the duct did you have to clear out of the floor duct for the center console in order to mount it to the floor? I am working on putting in the ss dash and center console in my 2014 Caprice and I am having issues getting the center console to sink far enough down.
ras9170

Post by ras9170 »

I know you posted that you didn't do the hud unit install, my question has to do with, are the wires there in the harness already, is it a separate harness and if possible do you know where it attaches to. I really want to use all the available items, as I purchased a brake actuator as well as the hud. I plan on making all the seats function and the memory as well. some items I may not try and use the bcm to make them work.
LxrdofWolves

Post by LxrdofWolves »

Just want to thank you guys for this post. I just installed my center console without any issues whatsoever.. Anyone got a link to the SS dashboard install if it isn’t straight forward? I’m waiting for mine to be delivered.. and I’d love to go right at it. I tend to prep ahead lol
$Hank$
2012 Caprice PPV 9C1- Soon 2 b LSA powered!
2012 Impala LTZ- Sold
2006 S10- Sold
1996 Caprice 9C1- Sold
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Not sure anyone has detailed the removal of the dash cover because it is so involved. Basically you are going to remove about 50 7mm bolts that are hiding all over. remove airbags, all side panels everything you can remove then there are 4 pins on the sides of the dash that lock it on. Bend it around those and it slips off.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
chrismcd11

Post by chrismcd11 »

Thanks for the inspiration! Mine was completed last week.

Attachments
0C20476E-3951-478F-930A-4FB9FCC5DE0C.jpeg
0C20476E-3951-478F-930A-4FB9FCC5DE0C.jpeg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 9198 times
2017 Chevy Caprice V conversion with HUD & Nav, VCM/OTR, Kooks complete system.
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT-8, 6 speed stick, with Whipple Supercharger.
2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8, Corsa exhaust, upgraded with DynaMat, Kenwood CarPlay, and idata Maestro display.
2014 Hyundai Equus Premium, 5.0 V8, RWD, the daily driver & road trip car.
jrob56

Post by jrob56 »

So my center console is in, went parking brake delete route. I’m going full dash swap now and should have one on the way his week. Long term I want to do floor shifter but like to do dash now and retain the column shifter for awhile. Does dash need to be out to get column shifter out?
TTriglia417

Post by TTriglia417 »

So I just purchased the SS dash, door panels, gauge cluster, & auto shifter.. currently looking for a center console. I installed the door panels and the front windows no longer roll down. Do you know if I have to switch over the harness from the caprice or can I just repin the connection, if so do you know which wires would need RE-pinning? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

** I figured it out, I had to swap over the door harness's along with the driver and passenger window switches.. *** All is working properly now