Stealth Factory paint defect

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
elc32955
System Manager

Stealth Factory paint defect

Post by elc32955 »

Just thought I'd post this up since it caught me unaware recently - it's one of those spots that you walk by it 100 times, never see it, and then on time 101 it's.... OOPSIE!

I noted an issue with the factory paint on purchase in 2021 but never really thought about it much, however recently I happened to be filling up the car and with idle time at the gas pump I got a rude reminder of that old famous proverb... "RUST NEVER SLEEPS". This was a factory paint defect apparently out of the Holden plant since the car never had a repaint, Looks like for whatever reason the paint didn't take on both sides of the rear window frame between 1/4 and 1/2 way up the body. Now I get to do a rust removal AND a repaint in this area. Thankfully the left side is the only one showing any rust. Take a look....
20240118_163533.jpg
20240118_163533.jpg (3.76 MiB) Viewed 132 times
This area might be a problem child to paint after I get the rust off, honestly not sure.... The paint in all other areas except the 90-degree bend is fine, almost looks like something rubbed up against it - perhaps when the rear window was being installed. Anyway it's a good 15 second check on our cars as if it can happen to one.....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Scrammbledeggs

Re: Stealth Factory paint defect

Post by Scrammbledeggs »

Mine has it too. Seems to be mostly the white cars