lower rocker moulding ("side skirts")

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).

WM Caprice rocker mouldings for PPV

1. Yes - delivery cost dependent
75%
2. Yes - delivery cost doesn't matter
No votes
3. No - not interested
25%

Total votes: 4

Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

lower rocker moulding ("side skirts")

Post by Navy Lifer »

I've had replacing the standard PPV rocker mouldings (similar to Omega/Berlina - SWB) on the "to do" list from early on. In discussing the effort with C.P., the biggest issue is delivery cost, which is being worked on now by Scott Walker (novadeuce).

The WM Holden Caprice features a more "squared-off" configuration, rather than the roll-under design of the parts on PPV now.

Here's a picture of PPV & G8 for comparison--WM Caprice is not quite as exaggerated as far as the flare at front and contour to the rear that the Commodore/G8 panels received.
rocker9.JPG
rocker9.JPG (34.43 KiB) Viewed 15707 times
rocker10.JPG
rocker10.JPG (41.33 KiB) Viewed 15707 times
You can also browse the Holden Caprice link and see how the parts differ. http://www.holden.com.au/cars/caprice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The actual cost of the pair of mouldings is $290 (plus cost of paint to match), before shipping, and will include a complete set of fasteners (clips, retainers, bolts, screws) even though most of the same parts might be re-usable from the existing mouldings. This is a fail-safe effort, as it's never fun to have to swap parts, only to find out that the new part can't be installed because there's something wrong with the mounting bits--it's not the time to go chasing replacements, which, although available, turn out to be considerably more costly here.

While I can't provide actual TOTAL cost delivered at this point, the more of these parts that can be brought over in one shipment, the cheaper it is for everyone who participates. So, it will be helpful to know if anyone is interested. In the meantime, Scott Walker is checking on shipping to his location for somewhere between 2 and 6 sets of these parts....unless more than that many want them. Any out-of-area (Atlanta) shipments would be handled by Scott, possibly as a separate transaction.

I've opened a poll to respond to the question - would you be interested in a pair of these rocker mouldings? Cost details for delivery will follow soon.
Tom Slick

Re: lower rocker moulding ("side skirts")

Post by Tom Slick »

What about the front moulding to match?

Thanks,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom,

C.P. is no doubt more qualified to address this than I am. I will agree that it would be nice to have some amount of a match in shape of the fascia & rockers, as is the case for both Holden Caprice and Commodore (VEII sport models).

In order to do what you propose, it would probably mean replacing the entire front fascia--way expensive, for multiple reasons, including the fact that the bumper standards for US and Australia are probably different, and the WM Caprice impact system may (I have not researched this) be different enough to require buying not only the fascia, but the parts & pieces behind it--if they're even allowed to be imported, since the car might not meet US crash standards once converted. We don't have access to the Holden parts book to see what is actually different, thus mention of C.P.--or Aussie contacts others may have.

The lower portion of the front fascia may not be a separate part--again, someone else will have to tell us--but even if it was, the contours of the PPV (Omega/Berlina) fascia are probably different enough to not allow the lower extension(s) of the fascia to fit properly or provide suitable appearance.

On the other hand, the Holden Caprice lower rocker mouldings (between front & rear wheels) being discussed here are benign as to any "impact" on the crash-worthiness of the front end.

Scott Walker (novadeuce) & I have actually talked about what COULD be done with the existing front fascia in the way of an extension, splitter, spoiler, etc. What's interesting is to search the Dodge Charger and see how many variations of front fascia kits are offered in the aftermarket, and even by Chrysler over the years the current car has been produced.

We (PPV private owners) won't ever realize the same level of participation by the aftermarket, I do not believe, so we may be on our own to come up with some ideas that are appealing and feasible to accomplish in a (very) small-scale demand situation. Maybe there is something from Australia that exists already for the Omega "nose" that we just aren't aware of yet...but that still leaves the issue of it being an import situation, with added costs to bring any parts here.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Update on WM Holden Caprice rocker mouldings for PPV:

1. Poll results are inconclusive

2. Cost with shipping via CP (parts cost @ $290/kit) using UPS Air Freight

Pricing is parts cost + shipping (these are CP's numbers):
- 1 kit - $703 (1 kit per car)
- 2 kits - $603/kit
- 3 kits - $577/kit
- 4 kits - $556/kit
- 5 kits - $551/kit
- 6 kits - $544/kit

This would be based on shipping all parts to same location, and then re-shipping to individual buyers.

Scott Walker (novadeuce) works for a warehousing/shipping outfit in the Atlanta area, and is checking on the possibility of being able to bring these parts from Australia for lower shipping cost than CP is able to, so it is hoped the final cost per kit might be substantially lower than what you see above. Parts would still be aggregated and packed for shipment by CP.

Scott would also re-ship any individual kit out to buyer(s), but that would be a separate charge handled individually & directly with him.

3. We're still waiting for a final answer from Scott's UPS account manager on cost, but it does look like at least 2 sets (kits) will be coming stateside.

If anyone else wants to be included, tentatively, please let me know.

We'll work out the purchase & shipping payment details once we know how many kits will ultimately be ordered.

I realize these parts aren't "cheap", and even after purchase they'll need to be painted--certainly not everyone's cup of tea. Money is being spent on these cars for many different things, and each owner has their own priority list. If we bring 2 kits, they may be the only ones that ever make it--just in case that impacts anyone's thinking on this particular mod.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

I'd suggest thinking it through carefully. The deeper side skirts are a package with the 'SS' front and (possibly) rear bars. In the '90s it was common to have add-on lips used to compliment side skirts, but today they use different bumper bar covers. The front fog lamps may be a different part number to the popular Berlina ones.

Personally I would recommend doing it as a package or not at all. It would be one-of-a-kind, but a high up-front cost. If you have contacts you may be able to find parts secondhand. On the plus side, I would expect it to fit without hassle, and there should be no legal issues as the bumper cover isn't really a structural part.

Cheers.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

I saw a Commodore Omega with an add-on lower front apron today and thought I'd share. No doubt this could be made to work on a Caprice PPV since the front bars are mostly the same. So I stand corrected on my previous post.

Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

The picture shows an older model with a different front fascia--so if something similar DOES exist in Oz, whether something OE or from aftermarket, anything further you can provide will be appreciated. At least it will be good to learn what options we may have, even if I'd be a bit reluctant to use something other than OE bits.

Thanks!!
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Whoops, I see you've got the series II style. I'm searching now but not finding anything thus far.

In the meantime I'll make another thread about front bars just to pass on my knowledge in that area.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Painted & ready to install:
rocker1.JPG
rocker1.JPG (33.81 KiB) Viewed 15707 times
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Curious to see the finished product...

Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L