steering wheel swap

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: steering wheel swap - installed!

Post by Navy Lifer »

Finally got the re-wrapped G8 wheel installed - swapped controls from PPV to this wheel to maintain the "white light" in the control icons. The plastic wheel trim is Platinum to match the other surfaces with the same color--parts from C.P. Wheel has a nice comfortable grip, much better than the vinyl wheel. The semi-flat bottom is nice too, for just that small bit of extra leg clearance for entry & exit, which depends on driver size, and seat/wheel adjustment.

I did find that the G8 wheel hub spline seemed to be slightly off from the PPV wheel--the wheel only goes on one way, determined by the indexing double spline, and it is not tapered like older GM cars....it just slips off & on. So, I had the car in for a toe adjustment, to center the wheel, which was several degrees clockwise from the PPV wheel--makes me wonder if there was something "tweaked" in the G8 wheel, which came from a dismantler, or if it was just a matter of manufacturing tolerances.

The toe adjustment was done on a Hunter machine, so I trust the numbers--slightly out of spec camber on RF and some adjustment is needed at the rear. This was not a full-blown alignment visit, since all I wanted was to straighten the steering wheel--when I finally lower the car, I'll go for the complete alignment. For now, at 17K+ miles, I have not noticed any unusual wear on the tires due to the alignment numbers being out of spec.

Yes, that is a low tire pressure alarm in the daylight picture....seems to be sensitive at about 33 PSI (by the sensor) with contribution from the lower than normal temps of the past few days--of course, it only confuses things when that tire builds pressure as it warms up and the alarm doesn't clear, and in this case, another wheel is displaying lower pressure and the one that is showing low by the system is actually reading a higher pressure--and still the one setting the alarm!

Pressures set before toe check/centering wheel to 35 PSI, have not done a COLD check to see how close to sensor pressure a gauge check is. Soon....
Gerome

Re: steering wheel swap

Post by Gerome »

I know this is a old thread , but I was wondering if the camaro ss or zl1 wheel will work on our cars ? I understand that the controls will need to be switched over . Just looking to see if this may be a option . Also I did notice that a vendor on the SS forum is selling the zl1 wheel with the red stitching to the SS sedan guys .
gregc

Post by gregc »

Gerome wrote:I know this is a old thread , but I was wondering if the camaro ss or zl1 wheel will work on our cars ? I understand that the controls will need to be switched over . Just looking to see if this may be a option . Also I did notice that a vendor on the SS forum is selling the zl1 wheel with the red stitching to the SS sedan guys .
Physically it can swap over, but you'll have to do a lot of rewiring to make it all work. I have a 2011 Camaro SS. The steering wheel is not the same as the 12 and newer Camaros, but the controls are the same. The DIC controls on the Caprice are on the left steering wheel scroll wheel. On the Camaro, it's on the turn signal stalk. The cruise control function is on the left side of the steering wheel on the Camaro. On the Caprice, the cruise control is on the turn signal stalk. I believe the 2014 PPV is set up like the Camaro.
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

gregc wrote:
Gerome wrote:I know this is a old thread , but I was wondering if the camaro ss or zl1 wheel will work on our cars ? I understand that the controls will need to be switched over . Just looking to see if this may be a option . Also I did notice that a vendor on the SS forum is selling the zl1 wheel with the red stitching to the SS sedan guys .
Physically it can swap over, but you'll have to do a lot of rewiring to make it all work. I have a 2011 Camaro SS. The steering wheel is not the same as the 12 and newer Camaros, but the controls are the same. The DIC controls on the Caprice are on the left steering wheel scroll wheel. On the Camaro, it's on the turn signal stalk. The cruise control function is on the left side of the steering wheel on the Camaro. On the Caprice, the cruise control is on the turn signal stalk. I believe the 2014 PPV is set up like the Camaro.
That sucks . Not looking to do any wiring . Thanks
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Posters in this thread would a picture update be possible??

Thanks
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

yes, the pictures got corrupted when a server problem happened quite a while back--I can't do it until I'm home again, will be a while....but it WILL happen
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Thanks Bill,

Or heck even some new ones from posters as we are coming up on 2 years with these. How is the leather holding up?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Indeed! Inquiring minds want to know.

We swapped the plastic wheel out for a leather one on our Tahoe. Very nice mod. The wheel came with the radio control switches (which the Tahoe PPV doesn't get), and it was plug and play!

I'd really like to do that to the Caprice. If for nothing ore than getting that ArmorAll-soaked plastic wheel out of the car. :evil:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I know CP was offering some pretty good deals on steering wheel swap to leather--you might want to contact him.

pjsadler@iinet.net.au

or take a look at the G8 boards to see if anyone has a G8 wheel for sale--they're the same/correct for PPV (11-13)
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Look around the G8 forums, I bought a non-sport leather wheel off of there, many years ago. It did not include the trim pieces, I bought a cheap junk wheel, and used the trim from it. I don't mind the red control lights. :lol:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe