Front bar options

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Troutman

Front bar options

Post by Troutman »

Here's a bit of info on the different front bars used by Caprice variants.

Chevrolet Caprice PPV
Uniquely made for the PPV based on the Holden Commodore Omega front bar.

Chevrolet Caprice LTZ, Royale / Holden Statesman
This is the 'luxury' spec front bar complete with fog lamps.

Chevrolet Caprice LS
As above but minus fog lamps for the base model.

Chevrolet Caprice SS / Holden Caprice
This is the sports model including a body kit of sorts. More aggressive skirts are also fitted.

WM HSV Grange - early model
More aggressive than the 'SS' bar, this distinguished the premium HSV version.

WM HSV Grange - late model
This includes LED running lamps and a very aggressive style.

Buick Park Avenue
The Chinese luxury model had a unique front bar. Not sure how easy it would be to get ahold of one.

Cheers.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Front bar options

Post by Navy Lifer »

Troutman, thanks for the primer!

One of the things we struggle with here is the difference in terminology--bar, guards, panel, boot, skirt, etc, when it comes to parts of a car often have different names or meanings here than elsewhere. Neither is wrong, it's just confusing, potentially.

With the Holden "invasion" of the US market, there are some potential misunderstandings about what is being discussed--none of this is really new, as many imports over the years have used similar identifying terms, especially British brands. So, does anyone know if there is a glossary of terms and differentiation between US and non-US words for automobile parts--and I don't mean tyres or colours!

The reference link below suggests, for example, why the British term TYRE is used--or the view taken regarding the (US) colonial term "tire":

A British term for Tire. The British smile when they see a sign saying Goodyear tires which implies lethargy in Goodyear.

There's this reference, which may not contain all terms in question:
http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll just start one until someone can post a better link:

Bonnet = hood (front - for front-engine vehicle)

Boot = trunk (lid, rear deck lid, etc)

Guard = front fender(?)

Bar = front fascia (bumper cover, or???)

Skirt = rocker panel or moulding (molding)

Moulding = molding

Panel (as in panel beating)
Panel beater (seems to be an Au, NZ, and South African term)
http://www.panelbeaters.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A person who beats out the dented bodywork of a damaged vehicle.
A Panel hammer

Panel beating
Beating out the dents in damaged bodywork.
See

Off-the-dolly panel beating
On-the-dolly panel beating

Please pardon the digression.....

I'll just add that of all the front end variations shown, I like the early WM HSV Grange (white car with SVLIMO plate) the best (preferably with the late Grange grille).

What isn't clear is how much difference there is between the cars shown in the photos and the PPV as far as bar (front bumper cover or fascia) depth, considering the US bumper impact standards. Without compromising this US spec, I don't know that any of the "bars" shown could be fitted to PPV with the US impact system components in place. Closest, just from a cursory viewing, suggests the Buick Park Ave bar might work. Regardless, I'll take a pair of those Buick OS rear view mirrors and repeaters!

Some interesting reading toward the end of this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Royaum#WL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - especially regarding Holden Caprice production numbers.

We are, indeed, owners of LOW-PRODUCTION vehicles!
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

several additional "revelations" from the photos posted:

1. note lack of front side markers/reflectors on non-US versions

2. PPV headlamp has full amber lens for turn signal/marker, others do not

3. there are black and chrome headlamp bezels (black is more appealing, IMO)

I have seen clear (non-amber) side markers on or offered for G8, FWIW...for the headlamps, unlike B-body, the amber lens is integrated into the assembly, so any effort to change that may call for a complete lamp cartridge replacement, and that gets into the DOT approved/specs compliance issue which might make it problematic to actually get some of the "optional" lamps into the US.

4. note Grange models have a headlamp cleaning system (little black patch on lower lens edge between lamps) - Buick may have also, but "patch" is not black

5. in the Chevrolet Caprice SS (Middle East car) photo, note the painted grille surround, and the skirts/rocker mouldings, which are the parts being discussed in another thread--these more-aggressive skirts are standard on Holden Caprice V, too...this is as good a shot as any we've had to see the visual difference, due to the color contrast.

6. with exception of PPV (with Omega style "bar"), all Caprice variants have a lower grill insert

7. finally, on the HSV cars, it "appears" the filler strip on each side of the roof panel (above doors) is color-matched to the body--not sure if that's the case with non-HSV models....but it could be an optical delusion, too....
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

What I want is a billet piece that will bolt in place of the Caprice PPV front bar. I do not want any identifying badges on the outside of the car! :mrgreen:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Bob, what your are referring to as "bar"....I think you mean the grille panel....yes?
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

Grille panel, yes.
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Many good and interesting points!

I think the term bumper bar has carried over from the pre-80s era when cars had exoskeletal metal bars on the front and rear. Today, the same part is located under the stylised (yes, I know, "stylized" :D ) plastic bumper covers. This bumper cover is the part I refer to.

I hadn't noticed the PPV headlamp amber turn signals (whch we call 'indicators') but I believe this isn't required by law as many cars don't have it. The reflectors in the side of the bumper may be another story. I wouldn't worry too much, though, as several people have installed imported parts without drama, including Tony Husted with his now-sold G8.

The models with HID headlamps are required by law to have cleaner and self-levelling unts. They can be distinguished by the little plastic piece. The headlamps perform very well but are costly to replace, and obviously you'd never install RHD headlamps on a LHD car.

Finally, there is a badgeless grille which was fitted to the Middle Eastern Caprice Royale as well as the relatively short-lived South Korean Daewoo Veritas, both of which had bonnet ornaments. The Daewoo also had the SS bar, chrome mirror covers, chrome rear licence plate surround and chrome headlamp bezels.

LED mirror covers are readily available on eBay (use a search term like 'VE mirror LED') but personally I'd recommend the normal in-guard ones as they are something of a styling highlight of the exterior.