trunk lid carpet

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

trunk lid carpet

Post by Navy Lifer »

Installed the G8 trunk lid carpet, PN 92171583. The holes punched in this molded carpet do not match the PPV trunk lid at every position. I had to drill 4 new holes, along the lower section, 2 on either side of the latch loop. I also had to massage some of the holes in the carpet to align to the hole(s) in the lid to install a retainer.

12 carpet retainers are needed, in 2 sizes - PN 92138253 (small head) and PN 92183231 (large head--these are the same as used to secure lower trunk panels). G8 uses 12 of the small head retainers. I could not find anything else that worked satisfactorily due to the size of the holes in the trunk lid itself--8mm or 5/16". I actually drilled small starter holes first, then drilled to 9/32, and used a hand reamer to size the holes from there to finished diameter, since the material is so thin.

In my case (may vary if the holes in carpet or trunk lid are not consistent), I used 8 of the small head retainers and 4 of the large head retainers.

More information in the individual pictures posted.
Before installing carpet, sound mat was installed--trunk lid now has a very solid "vault" closing sound.
Before installing carpet, sound mat was installed--trunk lid now has a very solid "vault" closing sound.
trunk lid 1.JPG (58.37 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
uninstalled carpet & shipping box
uninstalled carpet & shipping box
trunk lid 2.JPG (42.81 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
trunk floor support lanyard "hook" is removed to fit carpet
trunk floor support lanyard "hook" is removed to fit carpet
trunk lid 3.JPG (45.18 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
hook re-installed
hook re-installed
trunk lid 4.JPG (47.42 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
marking of hole misalignment - this & next picture
marking of hole misalignment - this & next picture
trunk lid 5.jpg (36.42 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
trunk lid 6.jpg
trunk lid 6.jpg (34.8 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
4 new holes drilled along lower horizontal section of trunk lid - making larger holes in carpet would leave some holes exposed, even using the larger retainers<br /><br />NOTE when drilling holes, be sure to apply paint or a rust-preventive compound (I went to see a buddy locally at a body shop, and we applied pinch-weld primer, which dries really quickly)
4 new holes drilled along lower horizontal section of trunk lid - making larger holes in carpet would leave some holes exposed, even using the larger retainers

NOTE when drilling holes, be sure to apply paint or a rust-preventive compound (I went to see a buddy locally at a body shop, and we applied pinch-weld primer, which dries really quickly)
lid1.JPG (49.25 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
lid2.JPG
lid2.JPG (45.47 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
&quot;forward&quot; left corner of lid with latch cable and grommet removed
"forward" left corner of lid with latch cable and grommet removed
lid3.JPG (52.89 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
cable removed from key release lever inside trunk lid--easy to remove &amp; reinstall
cable removed from key release lever inside trunk lid--easy to remove & reinstall
lid4.JPG (35.81 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
grommet removed from cable
grommet removed from cable
lid5.JPG (30.88 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
removal achieved by slicing grommet on &quot;back&quot; side
removal achieved by slicing grommet on "back" side
lid6.JPG (34.09 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
cable reinstalled, grommet back around cable - slot in carpet was large enough to work all parts of cable through
cable reinstalled, grommet back around cable - slot in carpet was large enough to work all parts of cable through
lid7.JPG (51.79 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
job completed, showing all retainers in place - 4 large retainers used at &quot;forward&quot; corners of trunk lid
job completed, showing all retainers in place - 4 large retainers used at "forward" corners of trunk lid
finished carpet 1.JPG (45.58 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
view of slot in carpet for cable to pass, retainers shown are the large head version
view of slot in carpet for cable to pass, retainers shown are the large head version
finished carpet 2.JPG (52.24 KiB) Viewed 22587 times
AACoPD05

Re: trunk lid carpet

Post by AACoPD05 »

The box says handle with care....its carpet! Looks good, finishes the trunk lid nicely.
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Recently Found a Trunk Lid Liner from a local guy that was parting out a G8. Thanks to Bills post mounted it up with no issues. When I ran the cords for my back up camera through the trunk boot I sent a wire with 2 conductors to add some LED trunk lights. I saw these two rectangular holes in the back of the trunk lid that I thought would be perfect place to mount some light. Even looked for some factory options but did not like what I saw. You could just go with a few more of the existing trunk light , but those seem like they are better suited being mounted into rigid metal or plastic. Not a good mounting system for what is basically a cardboard and felt liner. Came out real nice with some good light to be had when you are getting stuff out of the trunk.

Lights I used were found on Ebay with the descriptor "Universal 12VDC LED Auto Flip Courtesy Light". "euramtec" seems the be the main seller. They were about $18.50 each. Wire was 2 conductor 22 Gauge Stranded.

Once the Liner was mounted I just eyeballed and measured from the center where the center of the holes were in the trunk deck lid, Just have to get close so you can cut a small hole to fit your tape measure in. Then you can mark where the actual edges of the metal hole are on the blue tape. Then you can center the mounting ring of the light in the center of the square that you drew. When cut out, the back of the light and wires should go right into the two existing holes in the trunk lid.

Guesstimate of the center of the metal holes is the small boxes:

Exploratory hole cut so I cold mark the edges of the metal cut out in the trunk lid:
Large black square is the edge of the hole in the trunk lid.

Hole Cut Out:

Trim Ring Mounted:

Final:

In the Dark:

Wiring was painless with just some slide on terminals used on both ends of the wire. At the factory trunk light I used some terminal doublers. Get a variety pack at any auto parts store. Used to be very popular with the Volkswagen Bug folks to add accessory wires to the bugs.

Next is a fire extinguisher mount in the flat spot on the top of the lid.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
l77

Post by l77 »

There's really no need to slice the grommet, it pulls out and pushes back in. I drilled (using a spade bit, carpet rest on a cardboard box, mask tape on both side to get clean edge) a 3/4" hole on the carpet, and the grommet can wiggle through no problem.

Last edited by l77 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x-pro1/x-pro2/x-t30
8/12/18/35/60/90mm
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Man, those are nice! About how much do those things weigh? Not that I'm building a lightweight 9C1, but I'd like to add lightness wherever I can, but really like the look of this thing. If it's not more than a pound, or two, I'll take it out of the weight savings from the battery changeout.

Good to know it's a G8 part! Yet another reason to PIT maneuver my friend's wife's G8 into a guardrail. :twisted:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
brenard

Post by brenard »

Looks good. My friend is selling his G8 truck liner. Will definitely check it this weekend.
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

has anyone tried the SS trunk lid carpet ?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Fair question--from looking at one, I'm inclined to say it won't work. The VF trunk panel is an aluminum part, and the inner sub-panel is not the same, including the fact that, unlike VE/G8 & WM/WN, there are tail lamp components on the panel itself, making the inner contour, including the carpet, considerably different in shape.

SS
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-part ... trunk-scat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-part ... nents-scat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The SS trunk carpet (shown as trunk lid trim) also has 2 pre-punched holes for a pull-down handle, which I've fitted to my PPV, but possibly would not be in the same position if this (SS) part was used on a PPV--if it will even fit otherwise.

The molded/pre-formed trunk lid weatherstrip, comparing SS & PPV, are not the same, if that can be considered an indicator of how the carpet/trim perimeter contour may be differentiated, but neither are PPV & G8, FWIW.

PPV
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-part ... nents-scat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

G8
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Man, those are nice! About how much do those things weigh? Not that I'm building a lightweight 9C1, but I'd like to add lightness wherever I can, but really like the look of this thing. If it's not more than a pound, or two, I'll take it out of the weight savings from the battery changeout.

Good to know it's a G8 part! Yet another reason to PIT maneuver my friend's wife's G8 into a guardrail. :twisted:
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... t-92171583" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately it's a discontinued part, so the options are to scavenge one from an existing G8, or see about getting the part from Karo or some other Australian source, for the actual Holden Caprice part, if any of those remain available (if that part will fit). I recall, from several years back, that Crazy Paul had indicated there were multiple iterations of the part over time, so IF there are differences in the trunk lid itself, there may be a specific carpet trim made to fit only specific years--the ability to improvise and make the G8 carpet work being the one known solution at present. I'm not aware if anyone actually purchased a Holden Caprice trunk lid carpet trim--shipping for such a bulky part as a single part would be very costly, and I recall discussing with CP the possibility of nesting at least 3 of the "correct" Caprice parts together in a single box for shipping efficiency, but we never followed through on doing it.

One other thing I don't recall--in the tiransition from VE to VF (SS), the hood and trunk lid panels became aluminum. The PPV, in both WM & WN (2014-2017) versions, still use a steel hood and trunk lid panels, if I'm not mistaken. even if PN's vary over the years of production.

Can a WN (2014-2017) PPV owner confirm that hood & trunk are steel?

WM hood
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... 12OC1mbGV4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WN hood
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... 12OC1mbGV4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WM trunk lid
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... xleA%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WN trunk lid (changed as backup camera was added and trunk key location changed)
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts ... xleA%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

as far as i know , my hood and trunk are both steel ?

i just went out and checked , hood and trunk are steel , a magnet stuck to both
Last edited by s/c'd cav on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.