Bumper cover removal - not so bad, and a hint

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
paul54

Bumper cover removal - not so bad, and a hint

Post by paul54 »

I had to get my headlights out, since the de-fitter had removed the hide-a-way strobes and left a gaping hole in the reflector, letting dirt in. This is a 2014

Removing of all the components was really pretty easy. I know its been documented here before, and I should have taken pics, but here you go:
1 - Remove lower air deflector
2 - Remove front two torx bolts holding fender liner (repeat other side of course)
3 - Reach in and loosen the two bolts that are holding the back of the bumper cover to the fender. If you are lucky the upper nuts will slide up, and then you can push them forward out of the slots. The back of the bumper cover will drop down a bit.
4 - Remove the 4 push pin holders just in front of the radiator.
5 - Poke a flat blade under the headlights to release the two snap things that hold the top of the cover in place. Shine a light in so you can see what they are first.
6 - Remove cover and disconnect parking light connector.

To get the headlights out:
1 - Remove large absorber. Two bolts, easy
2 - Remove the two bumper brackets, they block access to the lower headlight assembly bolts
3 - Remove headlamps.

It really was not bad.
Hint: There are some special hexagonal nuts (from step 3) that get all crudded up and were very difficult to remove. They should slide up and down. Order a few before you start. I also had to file out the hexagonal holes in the bumper cover they fit in so they would slide up and down easily.
bumper_nuts.JPG
bumper_nuts.JPG (49.86 KiB) Viewed 12721 times
CrashTestDummy

Re: Bumper cover removal - not so bad, and a hint

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Thanks for the go-by. I need to drop the front cover to install the fog lights and new driving lights. While I've done it before, it's nice to have a recent go-by to reference.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

And to reiterate what Paul said above; the hex retainer nuts are in a prime place to get water/mud/salt spray when the car is on the road and in the weather. They're bare steel, so they WILL rust!

If you EVER entertain thoughts of removing the front cover for any reason, get a replacement set while they're still available, paint them and replace the OEM units before you can't.

If they're not yet rusted, removing the front cover using these instructions makes it a 10 minute job, taking your time. If they're already seized, you can easily triple the task, and/or end up ripping/cracking/tearing some stuff up.

The FSM says to loosen the bolts securing these nuts exactly 4 turns, then pushing up on the bolt to unseat the nuts.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

I need to replace a burned out parking light in front bumper. Is it necessary to remove bumper, or is there a shortcut?
2016 Caprice
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Easy to do both sides under the hood, passenger side is always a bit more tight. Twist and pull. Helps to have small hands or borrow some. Just don't drop the socket and you'll be fine.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

Referring to light bulbs in bumper not the headlight housing. Perhaps they're not called parking lights.
2016 Caprice
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Unfortunately you'd have to take those two torx screws out of the fender liner and peel it back. Wheels must be turned as well. It can be done but the space is very limited you'll scrape your hand on the horn on both sides. I'd never take the bumper cover off to replace them.

Commonly called sidemarkers.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
SSpeedracer

Post by SSpeedracer »

Thanks. I'll throw some LEDs insurance there when I get to it.
2016 Caprice
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Fudgehog wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 pm Unfortunately you'd have to take those two torx screws out of the fender liner and peel it back. Wheels must be turned as well. It can be done but the space is very limited you'll scrape your hand on the horn on both sides. I'd never take the bumper cover off to replace them.

Commonly called sidemarkers.
Or drop the under-bumper tray. It's item 13 in the illustration above. I think it's 5 ea. 10mm bolts holding the tray to the K-member, 4 ea 8 mm bolts holding the tray to the bottom of the bumper cover, and 4 ea. (?) torx bits holding the tray to each inner fender liner.

When you get in there, verify the side marker light harness is even plugged in. The harness on our '12 wasn't, and it looks like the plug that harness was plugged into was removed for some upfitter wiring. Check that before spending the money on LEDs. You may not be able to reconnect them.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?