LED Taillights...

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: LED Taillights...

Post by Pursuit »

And here are the connectors, male and female, for the standard PPV lights. I have not yet documented what is what on these. The PPV connector will not plug directly into the LED connector.
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I'm researching this exact same thing and have found some confusing data--so far.

Hoping Tom Slick can shed light on how to make the lamps & harness compatible without creating a clusterfluck of wiring or some sort of Frankenstein meets Rube Goldberg connector adaptation.
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

One view I forgot to include
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

Did anyone make any headway in the taillight department ? Was just curious to see how it worked out .
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Looking at the picture with the "socket" end of the connector (male)... it looks like the contactors can be removed... looks like there is a retaining piece in it (kind of like our quadlock connectors)...

You might be able to "Swap" the contactors on the Aussie version to the US Connector...

Doesn't look all that hard to do... :-)

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Tom, could it be "that simple"?

The PPV connector only uses 5 of the 6 terminal positions, where the LED version uses all 6 (I think).

Something would need to be jumped or added--of course, we can just use the existing connectors on the PPV lights rather than have to buy new parts (harness), but what is the likelihood that the male/female terminals are the same on both connectors? Not sure what the necessary terminal release tool may be, if any is available....data supplied on connectors to several of you earlier today is either incomplete or there may not actually be a tool.
jat63

Post by jat63 »

i read a thread here about tow hitches and found something about an adaptor which provides a seperate power supply for both the brake & indicator function for towing a trailor with a euro lamp setup.
this could be used to power the LED lamp if you choose to

found it under Trailor hitch
first post, page 6 by storm9c1

Wiring caveats:
The wiring is the next nightmare since the stock Holden harness comes with a converter box to divide the signals.

Overview: The stock tail lights on a Caprice have integrated brake and turn signals. But the box that comes in the kit separates them for a 7-pin harness setup. My trailers only have a 4-pin setup (combined signals), so I actually do not need this. If I used the Holden harness and then bought an adapter, then the signals will be as follows: BCM -> combined brake+turn -> harness -> box -> separated brake+turn -> converter -> combined brake+turn -> trailer. This is ridiculous.

So what I am going to do is mount the Holden converter box, but leave it unplugged in case I need a 7-pin harness later. Then I'm going to make my own converter box with 3 relays to keep the signals combined but use power from the 30A fused circuit intended by the kit. Yes, I could piggy back directly from the brake light circuits and make my own harness driven directly by the brake lights from the BCM. I assume this is what others may do. It's the lowest hanging fruit. But the Holden engineers made a separate fuse/circuit for trailer power for a reason to isolate the trailer from the car (I suspect so a fault doesn't damage the BCM or blow any of the car fuses). Power comes from the unused F7 cavity in the trunk fuse block. So I'm going to retain this engineering isolation.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Navy Lifer wrote:Tom, could it be "that simple"?

The PPV connector only uses 5 of the 6 terminal positions, where the LED version uses all 6 (I think).

Something would need to be jumped or added--of course, we can just use the existing connectors on the PPV lights rather than have to buy new parts (harness), but what is the likelihood that the male/female terminals are the same on both connectors? Not sure what the necessary terminal release tool may be, if any is available....data supplied on connectors to several of you earlier today is either incomplete or there may not actually be a tool.
I'm thinking so, because that sixth one on the wiring harness seems to be another ground (six wires harness side, 5 wires taillight side...) probably for the LED's individual turn signal... Not sure unitl I can test one out...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
jat63

Post by jat63 »

To pull the pins out you will need a very small blade screwdriver 1~2 mm shaft, first the panel in the connector body is a lockdown plate, pry it upward and remove, next raise the locking tang above the pin and pull wire out backwards,
Done this with mine before I tried to explain it
Hope it helps
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Tom,
Doesn't the BCM control the power for the lighting of the brake/turn signal function of the taillights on the PPV versus having the separate turn signal on the AU version? The BCM controls the alternate flashing of the taillights/reverse lights. IF that is the case could we just use the LED brake light as a turn signal also? And not try to provide power to the AU amber light?
Just throwing some thoughts out there.
Also. there are two grounds on the AU LED plug. One for the LED's and one for the incandescent bulbs. 4 power signals for reverse, turn, parking and stop.

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500