Dome light does not work with doors closed, park or driving.

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
K9Vic

Dome light does not work with doors closed, park or driving.

Post by K9Vic »

I did a quick search and only found about dark mode and I do not have code 7Y6, but my auxiliary dome light works just fine when I open the doors. The front main OEM does not work when I open the doors, but the back works. When I close the doors none of the done lights work. I do not have the manual so I cannot look anything up.

One thing to note the headliner is loose as it was probably removed to take out something before the county traded it in. The front center console is not flush and maybe there is something not connected.

Question is this maybe the issue, or is the some type of sequence to turn off the dome lights.

Thanks,
Gary
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Dome light does not work with doors closed, park or driv

Post by Navy Lifer »

There are 2 buttons on the overhead console--one controls dark mode. Open door & push buttons to see what happens. If the rear lamp comes on (as you mentioned) but front does not, it could just be the bulb.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Thanks for that info it told me since that is not working as you noted it is likely disconnected. So I took out the console and sure enough the 4-pin plug was not connected and even tucked away back in the liner. I found it and plugged it back in and everything is working now with the dome lights. I have always like the aux dome light with the red bulb. I wonder if they have a video system in there that was removed and why it was just put back in there without plugging it back in. I cannot imagine the Constable would have wanted it like that for 15k miles.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

I tell you, these sun visors on the Caprice are a poor design when it comes to how the center holder C-clamps are mounted. On my Tahoe and every other GM I have had they are screwed in, but the Caprice is a long lipped clip into the steel base. Apparently the person that removed the police light visor let that clip pop up into the inside and I took me an hour to get it out and fix it. I had to fix this as my visor fell off today as the screw holding that in place was not even there. I was lucky all the parts were there, but I almost lost that clip forever inside the roof.

I also found that there was a missing screw that holds the center dome light console in place. After relocating the clip for that I was able to get that flush with the headliner. The rear was also not clipped into the holders. Talk about a PITA to fix this and if I find out who did this I am going to slap them.

So hopefully this will fix my headliner issue.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Yep, lot of parts for these cars are exclusive to real Holdens, Pontiac G8's and ours because they're imported. Whole new parts sub-set for these cars. Oh, and GTOs as well... lol....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.