Passenger Seat Air Bag troubles

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
mftrnr

Passenger Seat Air Bag troubles

Post by mftrnr »

I wasn't sure if I should go with electrical or interior, but I figured if anybody has any experience on this issue it was doing seat swaps. I purchased a car with G8 seats in it and came with the original seats, when I went to swap out the air bags from the original seats I noticed the connector for the passenger side was smashed up pretty bad.

So I was wondering if anybody has experience, good or bad messing with air bag connectors? If it were any other connector I wouldn't have thought twice about cutting and replacing, but some things online seem to indicate they're extra sensitive, I dont know if thats for real or to scare you from messing with the safety stuff. The seat side connector got smashed, and Im very reluctant to cut any car side wires. I already checked a salvage yard today and was unable to find a matching connector from a different GM vehicle.

Any tips, thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ideally Id like to get the air bag light off so I can pass the VA inspection.

Thanks
Mark
2011 9C1, mostly stock, 109k miles... black
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Passenger Seat Air Bag troubles

Post by smwalker »

This company sells various pigtails for airbags and clock springs:

http://www.myairbags.com/product-catego ... tor-plugs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would be interesting to see what kind of connectors they come with or if the come with any at all. I need a few of them for the Salvaged SS I got that had deployed airbags and it melts the connectors. If you get a set from them please post up the process of how it's done.

THis page has some info on the best splice sleeves to use when connecting to a harness:

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.ht ... s&A=112205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mftrnr

Post by mftrnr »

Thanks for the site, I got my hopes up but it appears only really stock clock spring connectors and provide a bunch of services, like resetting air bag modules etc. I thought stuff like what Im looking for would be more readily available, starting to wonder how to proceed with this thing.
mftrnr

Post by mftrnr »

but the splicing article in the second link is confidence inspiring! I dont normally shy from electrical work but the position a lot of people take with safety equipment is to not touch it, I know an airbag deploying in your face would ruin your day but its still repairable. Or so they say...
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Or, plug in a resister to the car-side of the harness and not worry about things going ->BOOM!<- when you reconnect the battery. No MIL, or broken nose when the bag goes off. Win, win! :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I assumed the clock spring connectors and the airbags on the seat were similar. Could you post a picture of what yours look like?

THis look like the broken one?

Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mftrnr

Post by mftrnr »

CrashTestDummy - Sold! Do you have any more info about this or have you done this? Ive seen plugs for the passenger seat detector sensor but not for the side airbag, its a 3-wire connector.

smwalker - The plug is quite a bit different and its a 3-wire connector. I'll take a picture when I get home, not there at the moment.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Unfortunately, I don't. I think there are others on this list who have swapped seats, and used resisters where air bags aren't, so you might try some searching. You may also check the G8 forums, as there are guys over there doing more-silly stuff to their cars than we do here. :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

So lt's not the connector that goes in to the arbag it's self but rather the connector that is at the other end of the harness from the airbag?

Are both broken ? THe car side connector and the seat side?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mftrnr

Post by mftrnr »

It is the seat side, male connector that goes into the car harness that is broken. The car side receptacle is just fine, which is why Id really like to leave that alone. I just meant I am nervous to cut it out to use a whole new connector (male and female) in case it messes with the sensitive electronics of the safety system, it would be hard to undo the cutting on the car harness side, at least thats my thought process.