Passenger Seat Air Bag troubles

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
mftrnr

Re: Passenger Seat Air Bag troubles

Post by mftrnr »

So I am tempted to try the resistor in the mean time to get the light out, but now Im unsure if it requires a trip to the dealer to reset the airbag light. Or should it go out once it thinks everything is fine?
2011 9C1, mostly stock, 109k miles... black
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

mftrnr wrote:It is the seat side, male connector that goes into the car harness that is broken. The car side receptacle is just fine, which is why Id really like to leave that alone. I just meant I am nervous to cut it out to use a whole new connector (male and female) in case it messes with the sensitive electronics of the safety system, it would be hard to undo the cutting on the car harness side, at least thats my thought process.
Would be easier if they were both damaged then you could just use any 3 cavity connector male and female with some gold plated terminals and be done with it. But if you want to replace the existing male connector that might be a harder task to find the connector and terminals in small quantities. I will see what part numbers I Can come with tonight.

So I am tempted to try the resistor in the mean time to get the light out, but now Im unsure if it requires a trip to the dealer to reset the airbag light. Or should it go out once it thinks everything is fine?
My understanding is on every start up the SRS module tests all the circuits and if it sees the correct resistance then it's satisfied. If the resistance is incorrect then the SRS light comes on. So no programming should be needed once you get the correct stuff hooked up. Actual airbag or resistor.

Joting down some info:

Connector information:

Male Connector:

Female Connector:
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mftrnr

Post by mftrnr »

Thank you! That wiring diagram is a huge help.

I think the information I need is the same but that shows the square plug from the G8, the one on the Caprice is more roundy, I dont know why they used a different one.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

mftrnr wrote:Thank you! That wiring diagram is a huge help.

I think the information I need is the same but that shows the square plug from the G8, the one on the Caprice is more roundy, I dont know why they used a different one.
AH OK in the GM catalog it mentions an oval or square plug. Maybe have to look in the 2012 to see the oval. Good thing the square seems to be gone out of the Yazaki catalogs all together, maybe an old design. Hopefully the oval is the new style.

This look closer to yours?:

Connector info:

Oh Good. Looks lke Mouser has those in small quantities:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/?q ... Z0qg%3D%3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the catalog page here:

Now just have to find the correct terminals

OK so the ones we are looking for are MCON 1.2 series. If we go by the wire size of .3 from the service manual that gives us part number 1418758 then you add the -x extention to give you the material used at the contact site (tin, gold silver). I would think you would want gold for airbag systems (no corrosion) but all I see mouser has in quantities of 1 is silver and tin and they are showing non stocked witch means they have to order them.

OK while not ethical what I am going to suggest you do is get samples from TE to repair your connector. THey are pretty liberal with thier samples. See if I can find you a link to the samples site.

Well shoot they seem to offer a sample for the connector but not the terminals:
Connector
http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-1703494-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Terminals - This is the Gold plated one 1418758-2
http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-141875 ... ?q=1418758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But there is a link to shop US dstributors, see who has stock in small quantities.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mftrnr

Post by mftrnr »

That is amazing, thank you! These results are really making my own google researching feeling pretty lame, haha. That oval plug appears to be correct, now finding companies that sell these items in my quantities is the next challenge, but now Im optimistic in restoring a more stock setup.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Try the TE sample system with the connector. You may be able to add the terminals eventhough there is not a sample link on thier page.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mftrnr

Post by mftrnr »

I just wanted to revisit this and post what ended up getting my problems resolved maybe it can help someone else someday. The pics/info from smwalker was a huge help with wiring and insight into the parts I needed but I could not find an easy solution to buying just a connector with the terminals so I spent some more money and bought the connector "ACDELCO PT2997" which is the seat side, oval plug for this stuff.

At first I wired it in, and much to my frustration the airbag light was still on, so I was annoyed Id have to get it somewhere to get it read to be sure where my problem was, but after just taking everything out and re-assessing it turns out the passenger seat sensor was just unplugged under the seat, so Im back in business! No airbag light with much more attractive seats.

Those ACDelco plugs PT2997 could be used to avoid switching the airbags in G8 seats, I found out they're the same airbag with a different plug, but its not that hard to swap the whole airbag if everything is still in good working order (Like you didn't smash a plug).

So it all came together the same day I got my license plates, cars on the road and almost entirely street legal!
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Nice!! And very good find on the plug. How did you track that down? Not even in their pigtail catalog!

PT2997 also listed in the GM catalog as: 19301784

Thanks for updating!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
mftrnr

Post by mftrnr »

I cannot recall where I came across that part number, it was a few weeks back now and amidst A LOT of googling trying to get what I needed. I think it was just another forum post that had the P/N and just googling it I found it at RockAuto.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Could these broken retainers be responsible for a flashing airbag light?

Constantly flashes on the cluster, no message has ever showed in the DIC. Was never on or flashed like that UNTIL I replaced my BCM. Maybe the connector under the seats?

I thought this was the a pillar retainer thread lol, but my question remains.

Fuse is fine, I unplugged the driver airbag connector and the light goes from flashing to solid, still doesn't trigger the DIC message like having the fuse removed does. Any advice?
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF