Chrome Lower Door Moldings Review / Install Instructions

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
smwalker
Administration Staff

Chrome Lower Door Moldings Review / Install Instructions

Post by smwalker »

I just wanted to inform the group I have a set of Chrome Lower door moldings coming from Korea that I plan on doing a review on. I have a set of Genuine Holden Lower Door moldings but they were used and in pretty bad shape (scuffs and scratches). I plan to compare and contrast these to the Korean aftermarket ones to see if they are a good option for us compared to the high price tag on the Holden ones. For the 8 pieces from Holden I think they were about $500US the last time I checked then of course you got shipping on long pieces that is more expensive than usual. I checked the exchange rate of the prices listed in the Korean Ad below and it was $52.00 USD. Not sure if that was the dealer's cost or the MSRP but the Ebay seller is not gouging all that much. Might be an opportunity for a group buy.

Since the genuine holden ones are just plastic wrapped in what appears to be chrome vinyl tape I am optimistic that the Koreans may produce a comparable product. What will remain to be seen is if they are the same shape and appearance.

They look pretty good in the pics on the manufacturer's website, but we shall see:
AutoClover Site

Hopefully they show up!
Last edited by smwalker on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Chrome Lower Door Moldings Review

Post by smwalker »

Got the trim pieces. 12 days total shipping. Signature required at delivery so send them to your work address if you are not home during the day.

Overall impression: Very nice, damn near identical to the Holden pieces.

The trim pieces are stiff plastic. I thought they would be rubbery molding material cut to length, but they are not, they are the same as the holden trim in terms of stiffness. The adhesive on the back on them is a two piece design (top and bottom on trim) whereas I think the holden ones came with a 1 piece complete coverage design on the back. Will have to wait for installation to see if there is any disadvantage there.

The edges, profile and thicknesses seem to be similar to the Holden factory pieces. While it's very hard capture chrome differences in pictures here are some example comparison pics with the Holden pieces on top in each picture:

Image Image Image Image

I remember Crazy Paul used to have diagrams/guides on where to install trim pieces. Anyone ever see ones for the WM/WN ones? I though remembered seeing them at one point. If not I will try to see if any dealer sin AU will send me some info from their service manuals.

The seller put up 10 more at $100.00 a piece. I would feel pretty comfortable doing a group purchase on these as the quality seems pretty high. If you would be interested in a set reply below and if there is enough demand I would be glad to try and approach the company or that ebay seller to see what kind of deal they could offer us. There are 8 pieces in the set meaning there is a bumper piece for each side. I think in 12+ the rear bumpers did not come with pained molding in them like the 11's, so adding that on to a flat bumper might look a bit funky, not sure.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

might have to order them up

thank you steve
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

Got pics of them on your car yet? I'm really interested to see what they look like installed.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Just an update on these. Seems the Ebay Seller took down his US listing for this item because they have been having problems getting them them through customs. ANother FB member bought a few pairs and they have been held up over a month. To the sellers credit he did send him another 2 pair to see if they would get through any quicker - we shall see.

Then another FB group member posted up a pic of his installed and he pointed me to the post on this board that gives the dimensions of how to install them.

Anyway here is his ride: Too Nice!

Dimensions:

For the 2012+ guys with no depression in the rear bumper to use a guide to mounting here is some measuerments I took.
There is a body line in the rear bumper but it sort of dies out towards the rear of it. Start about 5/8 inch below the body line and that gap stays consistent till it disappears.
IMG_1392.JPG
IMG_1392.JPG (61.54 KiB) Viewed 15002 times
The only reference I could find for the rear is where the back up light lens intersects with the taillight lens. Measure down from there and you should end up at the top of the molding at about 11 9/16 of an inch.
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG (82.52 KiB) Viewed 15002 times
And the post the pictures of the dimensions were in:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by smwalker on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

that explains why i havent seen them listed in a while
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Chrome Lower Door Moldings Review / Install Instructions

Post by smwalker »

Updated the measurements with some from the rear bumper and wanted to add this info from the Group buy thread:

No one has done a write up of the install of moldings yet but one thing that helps them stick well (besides a good cleaning of the paint with and alcohol type product) is an adhesive promoter. 3M makes these neat little pens to apply a thin coat to the area you are sticking to:

3M Adhesive Promoter on Amazon
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Ben98gs

Post by Ben98gs »

After searching for months (including getting scammed once), I found a source for some of these trim sets. Rumor has been these were discontinued by AutoClover, so do not know how many more will be available in the future, but I currently have 24 sets available. Price is $150 SHIPPED within continental US.

Feel free to send PM if interested!
2016 Chevrolet SS Sedan - Slipstream Blue / M6 / Sunroof / Spare - 1 of 69 as optioned

Caprice OFFICIAL Master Production List
119C3NJ

Post by 119C3NJ »

I just got mine from BEN. Great packaging, quick shipping, looks like a nice product.
2011 9C3 Caprice PPV Phantom Black
1995 MG5 Yukon GT Black
1993 Harley Davidson FLSTC Black
Ben98gs

Post by Ben98gs »

Be sure to post pics! Still waiting for my matte black vinyl to wrap and install my trim pieces...
2016 Chevrolet SS Sedan - Slipstream Blue / M6 / Sunroof / Spare - 1 of 69 as optioned

Caprice OFFICIAL Master Production List