Painting factory wheel covers, color selection

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Sanford

Painting factory wheel covers, color selection

Post by Sanford »

Recently picked up another 2011 Caprice with the factory wheel covers. The covers are rough looking and I would like to refinish them. There are all kinds of YouTube videos on the painting of plastic wheel covers. I would like to try some of the rattle can paint that is compatible with plastic. Has anyone used rattle can paint to repaint the covers and if so, what brand and color code was used?

David
No Moa

Re: Painting factory wheel covers, color selection

Post by No Moa »

A lot of people hate it, but Plasti-dip works. I've done many sets of wheels. and if you don't like it, pull it off.
2014 Caprice PPV silver
2017 Ram 3500
2002 CETA trans am
1996 Impala ss (soon to be t56)
1995 9c1
1977 Trans am SE 4spd.
1978 trans am 400 4 spd.
Sanford

Re: Painting factory wheel covers, color selection

Post by Sanford »

I lightly bead blasted the wheel covers to remove the factory paint and it did not take much to blast the paint off. I used some Titanium Silver Rust-oleum Universal Metallic Paint& Primer that says it is usable on plastic. They look 10 times better than what they used to look like, but the color is not quite as gray as the factory finish and is a brighter, more silver look. I will post some pictures that show what they look like up against a factory finished one.

David