Undercar aero panel info - past post compilation & new info

Discussion on body issues/mods, appearance, interior/trim, and detailing (i.e. how to keep your car looking showroom new, or a reasonable facsimile thereof...).
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Undercar aero panel info - past post compilation & new info

Post by Navy Lifer »

Local dealer finally has the parts catalog update that includes Chevrolet SS (2014 EK69 - VF) and Caprice PPV (2014 EK19 - WN). I was able to confirm existence of aerodynamic deflector panels on VF but so far the WN platform does not show their existence. At this point, the catalogs are not fully populated nor is pricing info updated in many cases--checking panel PN's, in this case, does not show them to be good GMNA numbers....yet.

Undercar aero panels on BODY
Navy Lifer wrote:I have been wanting to confirm a few things about this car--under-car shots reveal that the air-flow smoothing panels from VE Series II are carried over to VF, and now I'm wondering if they will be added to WN (2014 Caprice)--they never were included in WM. Our (PPV) fuel tank straps do have the mounting provision for the aft panels.
Navy Lifer wrote:Even though the underbody of WM/PPV has some of the same dimensions and has mounting points for at least 2 of the aero panels, unless WN adds them, and that carries over to the revised Caprice PPV, trying to take the VE/VF aero panels and make them fit WM properly may be an exercise in futility, due to the wheelbase difference--but I don't mean to suggest it can't be done. I discussed this at length with CP, and I don't believe the WM ever had a full aero package as VE Series II and now VF does.

I would be very surprised if WN Caprice PPV would include aero panels simply as a matter of adding to vehicle cost with no real benefit, and maintenance for a "fleet" vehicle in real-world terms would see the panels taken off and left off the first time it was necessary to get at something behind them, or after the first off-road excursion that ripped one loose.

If Holden WN includes aero panels, at least it should be possible to get the correct WN parts via CP. If they make it to the US car, that's all the better! There were some fitment issues for G8 to use the aero parts because it was not a VE II car, and did not have all the correct mounting points--we could face a similar situation adding them to WM.
Navy Lifer wrote:aero panels
Tom Slick wrote:According to some research I did, The 2010 and on Caprice's did get aerodynamic enhancements for the undercarriage.

So, I'm betting there are aero panels out there...
I wish you were correct, but so far, no one, including CP, has been able to identify or provide pictures.

picture from CP, on VE II
The panel PN's (listed as DEFLECTOR) are as follows (direct fit for VEII & VF--not made for fitting to WM/WN without mods)
92244558 L (rear) - may be direct-fit
92244559 R (rear) - may be direct-fit
92261819 L (front)
92456818 R (front)

There is additional attachment hardware (bolts, nuts & retainers) which I'll list once parts are available for confirming fit.

Oil Pan Shield--part of aero package
Navy Lifer wrote:Whether this is the right forum to post this, I'm not sure, but here goes....

One of the things most of you are aware of is that the VE II (after G8) Holden Commodore received some aerodynamic enhancements under the car--for fuel economy improvement, ostensibly.

There has been previous discussion in the 2014 SS thread, on pages 3 & 4 (with pictures): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Past discussion with C.P. made it clear the VE (and coming VF - SS) aero panels are not going to fit 100% correct on the WM platform due to the wheelbase difference--and it remains to be seen whether the WN may get it's own aero package. But the oil pan shield, which was part of the original VE aero package, does fit WM--so I got one, and finally installed it.

The shield is PN 92180526 and is not currently available in US--that may change when the Chevy SS parts "list" is uploaded to the US inventory. I'm checking on another number, 92261555, to see if it will be the US-stocked part number for the shield.

The shield is secured to the frame rails with 6 bolts, PN 11519388--in actuality, 2 of these bolts are already in place, so only 4 additional bolts are required. Cost was $100 not including bolts or shipping (came in a larger order)--so I can't offer complete cost information about the part ordered separately (from C.P.).

If there is a downside to adding the shield, it's that it will be necessary to remove it whenever it's time to change the oil--both the drain plug and filter are not accessible with the shield in place. This type of shield has become quite common in the industry as part of fuel economy improvement efforts, so it's really nothing new and not that big of a deal to remove the shield as part routine servicing.

I cannot predict whether this shield is compatible with headers (with or without modification).

Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Undercar aero panel info - past post compilation & new i

Post by Navy Lifer »

This is specific to 2014 SS--I actually got to look at a new SS today, up close and personal, as it was going through PDI at the local dealer. Will post pix in that thread.

What I wanted to comment on here is that this particular Chevy SS has NONE of the 4 aero deflector panels or the engine oil pan shield. What is even more interesting is that the 4 deflectors are actually identified and illustrated in the SS parts book--still nothing shows for the oil pan shield.
Humzila

Re: Undercar aero panel info - past post compilation & new i

Post by Humzila »

I havent looked at the aero panel issue, but i do know that front skid plates are avail for the ppv.

Adamson industries has them online in steel for $99 and setina makes them in alum.
Adamson can special order the setina alum plates for $149.

Mine arrived today but i havent opened it yet.
Got it to go with the setina aluminum push bumper.